1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

argh...how serious are these cracks?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 20Hz, Feb 23, 2008.

1. 20Hz

20Hz

Dec 2, 2007
    Seattle
    So I just picked up this used Acme B4 ll and I noticed the treble attenuator didn't seem to be doing anything. So I pulled the grill to see if maybe it was just a loose wire on the tweeter, and found that all 4 10" drivers have cracks in them :( I'm trying to decide whether to go back and ask the store to take this cabinet back, or live with the cracked woofers and see how long before they blow. This wasn't a crazy cheap deal ($500 used) so throwing 4 speakers in would make it easily the price of a new one, I think. My gut tells me these speakers are not long for the world, what do you guys think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. fretster

fretster Advanced Beginner Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2005
    Moraga, California
    Can you get your money back?

3. Take it back. But...good luck. Probably can't since it's used...? My guess is "as-is" purchase.

Try to get your money back and go for something else.

4. 20Hz

20Hz

Dec 2, 2007
    Seattle
    yeah we'll see how they handle it. I'm not optimistic. They were unable to do anything on the price or give me more for my trade ins, because this one was a consignment (according to the sales dude). So I'm probably f*&$*d. I'll talk to them tomorrow and see if they'll take it back, otherwise I guess I'll be calling Acme on Monday to find out how much replacement woofers cost. I figure it's going to get me right back to the price of a new B4. :spit:

5. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    Creased cones... not good.

You could get replacements from Andy at Acme, IF the store doesn't do right by you... but do what you feel is best for you!

6. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    Looks like a cab that has been on sale at a famous bass shop in Seattle. They probably did not know about the damage, but the former owner must have. Take it back - the former owner does not deserve your money. There is a time to be diplomatic - this is not one of those times.

7. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    The Shop may stand behind it as they probably want your business and a good reputation. They probably don't sell busted gear.
    Take it back and be quite polite the cab speaks for itself. Or doesn't :)

8. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    If you really want to keep the cab, maybe see if they'll split the cost of getting the speakers reconed?
    Or just ask for your money back. I think by law 3 days is what you have to return an item , but most music stores offer 30 days.

9. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ

+1

The music store assumes some risk of doing buisness. Talk it out, be a good customer, but when push comes to shove go to the top.

10. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Classic Acme driver creasing. Replacement drivers are now $90 each with a $25 core charge refunded when you send the drivers back to Andy for disposal. There is no reconing those, believe me, I tried. Take it back.

11. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    The store, if reputable, will take the speaker back. It's not their fault or yours, and they will probably just hand the speaker back to the seller.

12. 20Hz

20Hz

Dec 2, 2007
    Seattle
    well today went much better than I thought it would. The guys at the store (Bass Northwest) never gave a thought to giving me any crap. They offered to undo the deal, but I suggested maybe splitting the cost of replacing the drivers. The guy in charge couldn't make a decision on that but suggested I talk to the owner on Monday.
    Anyway, I'd brought my head and my bass down, and thought to myself that maybe i'd try some different cabs while I was there to see what I might want in the future. Long story short, they had a used Accugroove Tri112, which I ended up getting for $50 more than what I'd spent on the Acme (with my trade-ins). All I can say is wow. I see what the hype is. My amp never ever sounded this good. It's probably not going to cut it by itself for gigs with no/lame PA, but since its 8 ohms I have expansion options. Its a better match for my amp than the Low B4 anyway, because it's not so much of a power hog. The bass extension is unbelievable. It doesn't have as much low and low mid volume, but the quality of the sound is actually sooo much better, at least with my amp. Deep and clear, and the mids are about 10 times better than either my old set up or the Acme. And it feels like it weighs like 10 lbs. I'm sort of falling in love with it, in case you can't tell.
    Anyway, props to Bass Northwest, for making it painless and helping me turn a potentially ****** experience into a a fantastic one!

13. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I've heard nothing but good things about BassNW. It's nice to be taken care of.

14. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    Not only are the drivers creased, but it looks like someone tried to fix the rips the creases were sreating. Clearly the previous owner was aware of the problem. Glad it turned out good for you. Keep your eyes open: I bet that cab turns up again, maybe even cheaper.

15. I'm pleased that you ended up happy with your purchase. However you can't judge an Acme cabinet by playing through a blown one!

Enjoy your new rig.

Paul