1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Argh!!!! I just can't make up my mind!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Matt Call, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Dude. Get a P-Bass.

36 vote(s)
    31.6%
  2. Yo Dawg. Hook it up wit' a J-Bass.

44 vote(s)
    38.6%
  3. Are you kidding me? Sterling.

13 vote(s)
    11.4%
  4. You're an idiot to get rid of the Bongo.

21 vote(s)
    18.4%
  1. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    So. I've been going back and forth on whether or not I want to keep my bongo 5. It's my only bass right now and, as great as it is, I think I really want something different. I find myself looking mainly at three different basses right now:

P-Bass
    Sterling
    jazz bass

I really want to get back to playing 4-string. I played all of these basses today, and there are awesome factors about each one.

I like the Sterling. While playing it, my dad said "that sounds almost exactly like the Bongo." He was right, since I usually try to use the bridge pickup and maybe some of the neck pickup. I really do like Musicman basses.

At the same time, there's the undying love of the P-bass. I played a Lakland BG Skyline today and... wow. The same goes for the G&L and the vintage Fenders I played (however, the vintage = WAY out of my price range). There's just something about that P-bass sound. I wanted to try out a BG with a darkstar; but didn't have the opportunity.

Finally, a jazz bass. My first bass was a 5-string jazz bass. Playing a bunch today really reminded me of that. I do, and probably always will, have a soft spot for them. I'd probably be looking at a Lakland JO or maybe a Sadowsky Metro. Otherwise, I'm tracking down my old Fender MIA Dlx V.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any thought/suggestions on this matter. I'm trying to settle down with the gear these days. Get things that will be in it for the long haul.

Sorry. I'm not a huge fan of these threads either...

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I love my 98 J, but I think if I had to do it over again, I'd probably get a P instead. There's just something about the sound of a P with roundwounds that is like no other bass. I have a P copy I built out of cheap Ebay parts, but it's strung with flats, and I would love to have one with rounds. But I do love my J and think it's a more versatile bass, so I'm sticking with it. But there's only one cure for the P jones, and that's a P.

3. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    You know you like mm basses so why don't you keep your bongo and save up to buy another bass. At least that way you'll also have a back up incase you snap a string on stage or something. Then I'd buy a jazz bass since you already have a mm and a good jazz can usually emulate a p well enough to where if you didn't know it wasn't a p most people can't hear the difference.

4. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Trade the 5 string bongo for a 4 string!

5. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    Elberon, New Jersey
    you can't be serious. Bongo is a better bass than ANYTHING Fender puts out, and is at LEAST as good as a lot of the others that cost more.

You'd be a total fool.

6. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Only YOU, can prevent forest fires!

7. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    Better than anything by fender? Better why?

OpaqueBass, maybe hang on to the bongo and get a P as well. then you can have the best of both worlds and to pretty different basses. dunno what kinda budget your running or what sort of P your after, but i was pretty impressed with the new mexican classic precision i played. (but thats a maple board)

cheers.

8. Why must you put Yo Dawg in your poll selection?

9. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    Go with SX basses, that way you could get all three! :D

What price range are you looking at? If you can save up some money, why not have Valenti construct a bass to your exact specs?

If I were you, I'd go with a Jazz-style bass. If you do the series/parallel mod, you can get a pretty convincing P bass tone. Same with a bass with a P/J config. You'd have two basses in one with either option.

I'd save up money, buy another bass, then decide whether or not to sell the Bongo. In a week or a month you might feel differently.

10. Seriously, you could pick up some SX's, then mod them to your liking. But I'm always a sucker for a P with flats.;)

11. why don't you go with those basses? try, and if you don't like then dispose it! errrrr..

12. 311fan

311fan

Jul 20, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    I say go with a precision. Jazz bass's sound hollow to me.

13. you could always get the fender jazz with the S-1 switch, then you could have the J and P sound in one bass, and thats two out of your three choices for a new bass

14. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I picked Jazz, but the truth is that you were probably a lot closer to making up your mind before you asked the other 95 of us to chime in.:D

15. Alex E

Alex E

Mar 2, 2006
    Get a Ricky 4003 instead!!

16. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    eh. i think fender is underestimated. honestly.

and respectfully.

17. Jazz

:ninja:

18. picknslap

picknslap

Sep 9, 2004
    Manteca
    Well, I picked choice number four, but my personal favorite of the three is the Sterling, hence the reason I own one.

19. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Well... after today, my mind is made up.

Sadowsky Jazz bass.

Hands down. It'll probably be a little while; but I sat down and A/B'ed a few for almost 2 hours. I've only had one other bass speak to me like a Sadowsky. That bass was a Fodera - which I will never be able to get that kind of scratch.