Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Argh! I know nothing

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by d8g3jdh, Sep 12, 2005.

1. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    I am the first to say that everything i know about basses (not playing bass) i have learned from talkbass, along with a little help from the dudepit. It is because of these sites that i even discovered G&L, which lead me to buy a new tribute L-2000 which is now a serious part of my life.

However, with the purchase of this fine machine i realized that my fender BXR 75-watt amp is decent, but really doesn't do it justice. So i think i need a new amp, but i am new to bass in general and i realized that i know nothing about amps, and wanted some help. Now this purchase probably wont be for a while, so by then all the information that i gather now may be obselete, but ill venture into these uncharted water anyways.

So here goes, these are things i want to know:

1 - Should i look into a pre-amp? And what is a pre-amp? and do any good ones exist that wont break my bank?

2 - Should i look into a power-amp? And what is a power-amp? and do any good ones exist that wont break my bank?

3 - What are some good amps to combine with my current G&L tribute L-2000, for someone who plays classic rock, some metal, and some slap, and would only get an amp that can give good tones for all three for a reasonable price.

4 - should i put all my money into just a pre-amp, or just an amp, or just a power amp, or a combination that splits my funds?

Also what do the following words mean
    Head
    Cab
    tube
    pre-amp
    power-amp

thanks for any info given!

peace

2. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    You can find PLENTY of power amps and pre amps that wont kill your bank account.

qsc audio make great power amps IMO. You can also check out tech21 and bbe they have pre amps for 300$

But first off, a power amp is what powers your bass, it is essetially the watts that are put into your speaker. A pre amp on hte other hand is the signal that your bass runs through, pre amps are essentially your EQ, sliders, ect.

A head is a power amp and a pre amp all in one, manufactures like gallien krueger, hartke, and peavey IMO make good budget heads that wont die on you.

Cabs are the speaker boxes that reguire a head to power. If you have an 8 ohm cab and power it with a head that puts out 300 watts at 8 ohms and 450 watts at 4 ohms, you will use the 300 watts, but if you add another 8ohm cab to that head you will get the 450 watts.

A tube amp is a amp that is run by tubes, it is powered by tubes and it's tone is warmed by the tubes, they generally cost 1200$ and up and weigh anywhere from 40-100 pounds.

I would suggest that since you are new at starting bass, try and find a peavey max 700 head and an avatar 212 or 410 bass cab.

Also what is your budget? Allowing us to know how much you can spend helps us out alot more.

-Rob

3. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Check out the FAQ at the top of the amp page.

4. Without knowing your budget, tastes, type of music, etc.

Some good information in the first reply as far as definitions, etc. are concerned. You've definitely come to the right place for information, BTW....I depend on the good people here more than I'd like to admit.

Anyway, with the definitions out of the way - let us know the equipment of those you play with, what kind of music you play, what type of tone you're looking for, etc. It will then be easier for us to give you some more focused advice.

Take care!
    Jay

5. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    thanks to the first replier, that cleared things up. To answer the questions:

I play classic rock (led zeppelin, pink floyd, etc) along with some metal (metallica, iron maiden, etc) and some slap bands (RHCP, primus, etc), so i naturally want either a pre or power amp that can produce a good slap tone as well as a 2-finger tone. As for what tone i want, for slap it's hard to say, but i like both flea's sound as well as les', so maybe something that resembles them. For 2-finger something that is bass heavy, but not over-powering, and again, fit in with the music genres mentioned above.

For budget, ill probly be shopping in the neighborhood of around $600 (canadian, about $450 american), maybe more if i find one i really like. It would also need an active input as well as passive.

All input is appreciated!

6. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
  7. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Amp wise, I'd recommend something with a variable "contour" control...a nice used Hartke HA4000 (400 watts at 4 ohms) or Gallien-Krueger 700RB or 1001RB would foot the bill.

The variable contour will allow you to notch the mids for a more pleasing slap tone. IIRC, Flea uses Gallien-Krueger and Les uses Ampeg, both amps with nice midrange response.

I have a Hartke HA4000 and love all of the tone control in the preamp section...variable contour (with center frequency), Low bass enhancement, four band EQ (the two midrange bands are fully parametric (allowing you to pick the center frequency, the range of frequencies affected (bandwidth) and the amount of cut or boost).

I once owned a G-K 800RB and didn't like the all or nothing contour control and briefly used a 1001RB that had a variable contour...it sounded much better to my ears.

I'm sure that there are a lot of other amps out there with similar features.

Is your budget for just the amplifier (meaning integrated bass amplifier with tone controls and a power section), or the complete setup with amplifier and speakers?

8. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    well, im currently using a fender BXR 75-watt combo, so i figure my next purchase will be the whole kit and kabootle, since what i have now is really only good for practice

9. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    Ok, I'll probably get shot down for this reccomendation, but it's had rave reviews from the folks who have bought it.

Behringer BX4500H Bass Head - 450W, 5 band EQ, "shape" (contour) knob - footswitchable, bass and treble boost, "ultrabass" function (just an additional signal an octave below your signal) - footswitchable. $200 (American). http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/481090/

Legion Sound EMI-810 8x10" 1200W cabinet. $269 (American). http://stores.channeladvisor.com/musicsupplycenter/Items/200-04-0008?

Check out these reviews: http://www.harmony-central.com/Bass/Data/Legion_Sound/EMI_810_Cabinet-1.html