ARGH!!!! It's one of those RARE days!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by RAM, Sep 10, 2002.

1. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I swear that I cannot remember for the life of me having a worse gear day! Thank GOD I am not currently a gigging/touring bass player, because I would've had to quit on the spot!

First, as some of you may know, I recently had my Fafner fixed. Well, it's blown out again. The service is still under warranty, so I'm going to take it in this week to have it re-fixed. It still pisses me off, though!

Then, my prized Spector, a $4,900+ (retail) guitar is now rattling when I pluck either the E or A string. It's MADDENING!!!

So, I don't know if I should merely vent, have my problems fixed (my bass has a lifetime warranty), or if I should blow out my current setup and go for a complete overhaul.

A complete overhaul would cost me dearly. Of course I'd trade in my current gear, or sell it outright, so that'd take some of the blow. But then I have to search through tons and tons of new gear to see what works for me, what works well together (very difficult to do in Chicago, IME), and what is somewhere near my price range. I could probably list at least 10 viable basses that I'd consider viable, but only 2 or so can even be FOUND in this city! And, as far as amp manufacturers...I know squat about what's on the market, compared to basses...:(

Am I out of my mind? Should I just have everything fixed and move on? Anybody else experience such frustration?

2. masaru

Aug 8, 2001
    Okinawa, Japan
    Sit back, take a deep breath and count to whatever number it will take for you to get over this. Sounds like you've got top o' the line gear so an overhaul would not only be foolish, but expensive and time consuming. I think most of us fight the urge, on a daily basis, to do what you're contemplating. My battle right now is to be reasonable and realize I don't need 2 SVT 810Es at this particular point in time. Hang in there. It's bound to get better.
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Masaru is giving you good advice, RAM. If you have cooled on the Fafner, get it fixed under warranty and then trade it off or sell it. The Spector probably just needs a good setup.
  4. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Maybe you guys are right...The Fafner is the only thing I've found that sends shivers up my spine...yet. I know I have to get that fixed before I decide anything, keeping or selling it. There's other great amps out there that I'm wondering about, though...

The Spector, though is another. I will definitely call Spector today and see if they can fix it. That'll mean I'm without it for several weeks. Once I get it back...well...maybe I'll feel better, maybe I'll feel like it's time to make a change.
  5. Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    Ram i truly feel for you fafner cut out on me
    about 4 months ago,luckily yours is still under warranty,mines isn't:( ..
    it's still one damn funkin amp.
  6. ...Maybe I'm missing something...but...can't you take it into a music shop, grab hold of a tech (hopefully in an appropriate place) and pay for a nice setup on your Spector? I mean, if the tech can't work it out, I would call spector and ship it off. I live in alaska, so I know how the lack of music stores go...but even here I can find someone to setup my basses. You'd think that chicago would be better...

I hope it all works out, though. It sucks when one of the herd gets the sniffles.

7. P.S. Maybe a Spector dealer can look at it?...Even we have one up here...even though he's a four hour drive away...just look into it, though.

8. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Maybe I wasn't clear...the amp is NOT under warranty. It's the service warranty that's still in effect. About 30 days ago I had to take in my amp because it cut out on me. $48 later, it was fixed, and they gave me a 90 day warranty on their work. Well, we're well within that 90 day period. But, what if the solder joints are not the culprit, like they first assumed? It could end up costing me dearly!!!:mad:
  9. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    That would be all good, except there's only two stores I know that do (or did) carry US Spectors. One doesn't sell them anymore, and I don't trust, either. I learned that it's good to have a lifetime warranty because of that shop.

The other store doesn't have a repair guy on premises and has to farm it out to a local shop, one that I also don't trust after they screwed up the installation of my BadAss II on my MIM Fender...TWICE!!!

I may, and mean MAY try to send it back to Stuart for warranty work, assuming he or PJ couldn't diagnose it over the phone. If they can tell me the problem and it's an easy fix, that I can do myself.

I'm still frustrated, though.
  10. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Oh...and, thanks for all the good tips.:D