Argh!! MIP.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Sonorous, Nov 14, 2004.

1. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I had accidentally put this in the basses forum. Oops.

Alright, well I got an MIP (minor in possesion) last night (Saturday.)

Is anyone here a lawyer, or at least know something about laws in Texas?

This really really sucks and I just want to know what I should do, and what the possible outcomes could be.
  2. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    What were you in possession of?

Or, were you in possession of a minor :eek: ?
  3. ahaha that was good

oh and that sucks to be you man thats why you dont get caught everything is legal until you get caught
  4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
  5. Let see.

You're in Texas... Expect the death penalty. :(
  6. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
  7. Hey, you live in MB? I live in SLO :D

Sonorous - Plead for your life are in Texas after all :ninja:
  8. In VA, I got 50 hours of community service, and a 10 week class that costs $250. That, and probation for almost a year, after which it goes off the record. I'd assume that it would be similar in Texas, although I can't say for sure. (How'd I get caught? Some bitch pushed me into a creek when I was drunk. College kids never drink. :rollno: )
  9. Minor in possesion.....Sound like a what you would take in demon school!

"Yea I'm majoring in Apocolyptic times with a minor in possesion :D

Get a good will cost now but could really help down the road
  10. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    well hell, you should come out to my gig on saturday. we'll need all the people we can get. :bawl:
  11. Drop me a PM letting me know when and where and I'll see if I can make it!
  12. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Thanks, that made me laugh.

Ok, well I'm 16, and I had some Shiner Bocks and Miller High Lifes in the back seat of my Jeep.

I was stopped for a minor traffic violation, which the state trooper let slide. He looked in the back and saw my jacket on the floor which was covering the beers.

Then he asked me to step out of the car, I did. He said, "Its a little cold out don't you think? Want to get your jacket?" To which I replied, "No thanks, I love cold weather." (I really do love cold weather and I really didn't want my jacket.)

He started to open the back door. Then I firmly told him that he did not have my permission to search the car. He said, "What, are you a lawyer or something boy? Did you go to law school? Have you ever heard of (something, I don't remember exactly what he said. Something about span.)? Well it means I can search anything within arms length of the doors. I can also search your car if I have a probable cause... which means if I think you have alcohol then I can search your car. And you know what... I think you have alcohol."

So after that he told me to stand behind my car while he searched it and found the beers. Then he got all my information and etc. and took the beers and told me to go home.

This part is pretty funny... after he had I had signed and he had given me my copy of the ticket and he had told me where the court house was and who the judge was etc... he drove away with the beers on his trunk door.

I had gotten back in my Jeep by then and despite feeling like I was going to have a heart attack/crap my pants... I laughed for quite a while. I mean really... he just left two six packs on the back of his car and drove away with them there.

EDIT: There was one six pack on the back of his car, he didn't forget both of them.

Well anyway, I then came home and watched Fullmetal Alchemist on TV and then went to sleep.
  13. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I can plead not guilty and if the officer doesn't show then I win by default, but some how I don't feel like gambling my consequences on a chance like that.

I would also be innocent until proven guilty, and I don't really know how they could prove I had the beers. But if I didn't actually have any alcohol, then that means the cop planted them on me. How many people will believe that?

But anyway, I do know that when I turn 21 I can fill out a form and have this MIP and all traces of it removed from my record.
  14. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Dont try for the he framed me thing.

Look into the search thing a bit more.

For example: What reason did he have to suspect you had alcohol with you?

Either you left something out of the story, or he had no reason to check your car.

Were you drinking? Did you have the smell of alcohol on you?
  15. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    Yeah, definitely look more into the search thing. I'm not too sure if what he did was legal or not. Probable cause doesn't mean that he just thinks you have alchohol; for it to be PC he must have either seen it or have some other way of telling they were there (like the smell of alchohol, which in this case doesn't work). The jacket covering it and your response to him suggesting you grab the jacket could've been enough for PC though. It's reasonable suspicion at first when he saw the jacket, but it became PC when he asked you to grab it and you didn't. That technique he used, even though it seemed unfair, is a pretty good tactic for finding PC. If you'd grabbed the jacket, he would've seen the beers, and if you didn't, then he'd have PC to search. Either way, it means you're caught.

Don't try the "he planted it" scheme cause that will only get you in more trouble (aka lying, giving false info. etc). I guess you could plead not guilty and test your chances, but that all depends on how flexible the judge is, and if the officer shows to that hearing. Your best option is probably to plead guilty, admit you did something wrong, and take the punishment. It's usually less than if you pleaded not guilty and lost; and like you said, will be erased from your records later on.

Good luck.

16. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Well, the evidence is GONE, right? So really, he can't prove it was there...
  17. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Well... it was nearly midnight. I had pulled into a drive way and pulled up pretty far to see if I recognized any of the cars because I was looking for a person's house and I thought that was it. I decided it wasn't and went to back out, but didn't see the cop coming down the road and I backed out when he was about 20 feet away and he had to stop... I'm supposed to let him pass but I didn't see him.

I then pulled back into the driveway because I was only a few feet out, then he turned his top lights on and I was like, "Oh ****, a cop." I did have an open High Life and had drank about half of it, but I quickly placed it back into the cardboard 6-pack box and threw my jacket back on top of it. I'm fairly certain there wasn't any smell.

He asked me if I lived at the house, and I said, "No, I was just turning around." Then he said, "What were you doing all the way up there." I didn't really have a good answer. Then he looked at my license and asked me again what I was doing way up in the drive way, and what I was doing out late.

You might be thinking I should have said I lived there in the first place... but that wouldn't have worked because it turns out he knew the real people that did.

You know the rest.
  18. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Yeah, I'm not going to say he planted it. That was just more of a joke.

And Mike, he was keen enough to remember to grab one of the six packs, and left the other on the trunk. I messed up the early post, I fixed it though.
  19. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    There could have been enough of a smell, but if there wasnt, I dont think he had reasonable suspicion or probable cause.

The fact that you drank some though means to me that you shouldnt risk it.