1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ARGH!!!>.........my drummer's bass drum ISN'T LOUD ENOUGH!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by scorpionldr, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Does anyone have a clue on how to get my drummer to actually play the kick drum loudly? I remember when we first started out, he had a complete POS for a kit, and I was greatful if i could get anywhere near hearing the bass drum. Now tho, he's had a new kit for a while, it's like night and day with different players....you can hardly hear his kick at all, but anyone else that touches it i practically hear an explosion of sound from it.....are there any good ways to get the legs working harder on drums? it's a little thing, but still, it'd be nice to hear something more dominant than just the snare and cymbals

2. Have you watched his technique lately?... Maybe when he "lays it down" he's not playing the bass drum much at all and just using his sticks..........:meh:

Otherwise, he needs to work on his food technique for "punch". If you don't tell him, he'll never know. How long has he been playing?, Maybe it's time to get some set lessons. I work with drummers and they're always looking for the lessons/sessions/clinics that are put on by the top drummers that come to town. You never stop learning! If he's serious about playing, then he should look into something like that.:)

3. I am loathe to tell anyone else about their technique. Thats for them to work out really, and for someone in a band, should already BE worked out IMHO.

Can you mic the kick drum through a PA or amp at all. That may resolve the problem without the need to re-work his technique and may also hilight whether or not he is keeping the bass drum beat or losing it.

4. morf

morf Inactive

Feb 17, 2006
    Did he make a hole in the bass drum's skin?

5. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    +1 I've played w/a kick drum mike running into my bass amp in several situations.
    Or you could just have him listen to John Bonham.

6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Mic it and pipe the mic through the monitors ior practice PA.

7. Or trigger it. I love it when my drummers trigger the kick.

8. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    Tell him to hit the bass drum harder. If it's still not loud enough, mic it (with a proper mic). Just be aware of that the positioning of the mike is essential. Moving it a few centimeters can radically affect the sound.

Check that the BD is tuned correctly (depends a lot on the room size), and also check what kind of beater he's using - soft or hard? If you need a sound that cuts through well, lots of high mids and treble is the solution (good for pop/rock/metal). To get that sound, use a combination of a hard beater and a "pad" you attach onto the center of the skin where you hit it with the beater.

9. +1 on the equipment. My son is talking about getting a different (harder) beater for his pedal to get a more powerful sound. Also; does his bass drum have heads on both sides? Some don't have a front head and if you don't have heads on both sides of the drums then they sound totally different than those that do. Just a thought.

10. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    how big is the bass drum? depth also plays a part in how big the drum can sound.

11. Hi, scorpionldr

If our drummer had a soft firm touch and would still keep the tempo, I'd be happy as a bumblebee.

Now he's not a leadfoot hammerhand, but micing the set is far more easily done than trying to quiet the set down.

But if the problem with the said drummer is in the balance between the drums, a few lessons can do wonders. If the playing volumes aren't in balance the first PA support gig will be without the BD audible in the mix.

Just my 0.02€
    Sam

12. actually, i'm questioning if that's a cause of problem.....the new one's all sealed up on the heads..........but i'm not sure if that effects how loud or how trebly the bass drum is.......... it's a regular size drum

13. Get the biggest, most shiniest, most pretty looking (this is the important part) mic you see at the local music store.

14. morf

morf Inactive

Feb 17, 2006
    as far as I know, opening it up lets the sound spread, so you will definitely hear it alot better.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 21, 2021