Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

argh need some assistance please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xb100, May 9, 2004.

1. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    sigh well my bday is getting close and i still havnt decided what i should to upgrade my equpiment...everytime i take a gander at amps i always change my mind what i have is about 300-400$ total what ive been looking at are ibanez sw 65 and the sw 100 ive also looked into ashdown the blue line series 115 180 watts the ive looked into the MAG series cutting it close on my budget there but the 115 looks promising now all i want is something to practice on with a couple guitars ect... i dont need some overkill 8x10 but what i cant deicide is either get a small amp *ibanez sw 65* and get a morley pba dual bass wah with it or get a cab and a head...problem is cant really find a head already know if i get a cab it'll be avatar :) but the head ive looked at was that behringer 3000xt 300 watts 230$ what would you guys consider???

2. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    You should use some punctuation! Man that is hard to read! Give us more information, and we will give you more. What styles of music, band situation, etc.

3. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    check into a Peavey TNT or TKO, I used one of those for quite some time when I was younger, and they get loud, also I had a basic 60 which I still own today and keep in my room for practice, my big rig stays at rehersal space. Check out used as well. I have a Peavey Session bass head that I may be getting rid of soon which produces 130 watts @ 8 ohms and 200 watts @ 4 ohms, which I'd probably get rid of for $160 plus shipping and I've actually used it with a friends Avatar 410 at a jam once and it worked quite well. I think if you decide to go with the Ibanez amp you will be left wanting more real quick, not just in volume but in tone as well. I believe you can find something nicer in a combo amp for around the same price as the Ibanez.
    I'll scroung around for some info on a few different amps and get some price info as well and post it here.
    Hope I helped
    Peace
    -Ben

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I would consider capital letters at the beginning of sentences and periods at the end of sentences. That'd be a start. Once you've got that mastered, think about something in the Fender Bassman line.

5. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    I did a little searching on our for sale forum and musicians friend just to get some prices on some combos.

This one is on our for sale forum right now.

Peavey TKO $250

As is this one.

ROLAND DB 500 BASS COMBO $450

The rest I just looked up on musicians friend.

Ampeg Ba15 $450

SWR LA15 $299

Peavey TNT115 $450

Ampeg 112 $380

Peavey Basic 112 $289

Yorkbille BassMaster xm100C $350

Vox T-60 112 $300

These are just some to keep in mind, as Munji said check out the Fender Bassman series, they are quality. Do a search in the Amps forum and see what you can come up with. Also try out as many amps as you can before you decided on what you want. I would say go used because you will save money and still get a great amp. Another feature of this site that may come in handy to you is the "wanted" forum that we have, you can post what you want and people will post back if they have it or offer something else that you may want. Well I hope I helped out in some way.

Peace
    -Ben

6. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Those Rolands are especially cool.

7. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Oh yea about that guys, im used to just typing. But ill try not to do it anymore, i was actually looking to get a cab and a head but i read that hartke cabs other than the xl series are POS. Well that sure brightend me up on account i was ganna get a VX 4x10 and now it looks ill go get the avatar!! :bassist: But sorry bout the bad typing i generally play rock/metal tallica,ozzy stuff mainly, thx for all of your input!!

8. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    the yorkville stuff surprised me at NAMM. I would look into trying some of that.

9. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    I've read that avatar owns so i think ill get one, just cant decide what one to get. Im looking to get either the 2x10 or the 2x12. Ive also read that both of em are awesome. i guess it depends on what music ill be playing?? Well like i said i play mainly tallica and ozzy. I dont really want something that'll blow my house away and i want something that'll be loud enough with 2 guitars and drummer. Im thinking the 212 low end and some highs?? Or am i wrong. Another question i have is what ohm should i get the cab in? The head im getting (behringer 3000xt) its lowest impendance is 4 ohms so i could hook 2 8ohm cabs to it if im not mistaken?? Anyways thx guys

BTW my typing any better??

10. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    I suggest a 4 ohm 2x12. This will provide both punch and deeper lows than the 2x10s, especially for the music you are playing. Why 4 ohms? You will be able to use all the power your amp will be rated for. Why not 8 ohms? Yes, you could use 8 ohms and have the option of another 8 ohm cab in the future, but I think the benefits of using your amp to it's fullest would far outweight the "future option". Anyway, you'll want to go 2 cab when you get a better amp anyway. One that'll put out enough power to be able to run 2 cabs with enough volume and headroom.

I think you'll be happy with 2x12s.

-T