Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ARGH -- need your help, Sansamp/Power Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dr. PhunkyPants, Jun 7, 2004.

1. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Seriously gang, I need some help here.

Normally, I run through a Sansamp Bass Driver DI into a Demeter Preamp into my power amp (most recently a Stewart World 2.1). I just got a call to rehearse with a great area band on Wednesday and ironically my Demeter's power supply got fried this weekend and will need pro repair.

What I need to know is whether I can safely go directly through the Sansamp pedal into the Stewart power amp. If it can be done, do I use the XLR (ground lifted) out from the pedal or the 1/4"?

Thanks for your help.

2. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    Shouldn't be a problem. You can use either output.

3. I just got a power amp and tried running the bddi direct into it and found that it did not have the same amount of gain as the preamp in my combo amp did. When I ran the bddi only I had to turn the amp up all the way and it wasn't very loud, but when I ran thru the preamp on the combo then out of it's direct out into the amp it cranked. Probably twice as loud as the bddi only.

YMMV...It does work, but I don't know about your amp or situation, you may want to plug it up and see if it's going to be loud enough. Or maybe my bddi needs a new battery?? :confused:

4. It is perfectly safe, but the output gain will be less than you are used to. It wont get as loud.

If you have any other units with input and output gain, (compressor, eq) you can run it between the bddi and the power amp to make up the gain.

5. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    I appreciate your input. I may have a presonus tubepre mic preamp that I could use to pump up the gain a bit.

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Excellent idea. While the SABDDI can be used as a preamp, it functions best as a pedal/DI in front of a true preamp.

7. My bass in your

My bass in your

Nov 1, 2003
    Holland
    Don't you have anithing that can boost the signal?
    an EQ maybe or pedals like Ibanez PD7 or Boss LS-2?

8. Racsen

Racsen

Dec 6, 2003
    Turkey
    Can we use Sansamp Bass Driver D.I. like a head ?
    like Sansamp >>> 400 watt cabinet

9. No. You would need a separate power amp. A head contains a preamp and a power amp. The Sansamp is a preamp at best, although it needs a signal boost to drive the power amp to maximum potential.