Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Argh! Short scale/semi-hollow dilemma...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bman, Mar 11, 2004.

1. bman

bman

Dec 4, 2000
    Sandown, N.H., USA
    Help me pick out a new bass please!

I want an inexpensive, short scale, semi-hollow bass and I've narrowed it down to two. Neither will be my main bass. I kind of want a bit of a vibe for rockabilly/50s/bluesy stuff.

I want to pull the trigger right now, but I can't decide!

1. Jay Turser Beatle Bass: I'm in love with the natural finish. I have ready plenty of reviews - and I realize it can be dicey. But the place has a good return policy. And I really, really like the look of the natural finish. I just don't want to get it, and then spend more money just to make it playable.

2. Epiphone Allen Woody bass: I LOVE Gov't Mule. I think it'd be much more solid, in terms of build quality (or, I haven't seen that as a common complaint in reviews.) It's about $150 more though.

Money isn't THAT much of a concern. But if I can save $150, that's good, too.

Help!

2. b15fliptop

b15fliptop Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Florida
    Personally, I would go with the Woody. I've owned a couple of Beatle bass copies, and the bridge is a real pain. Difficult to intonate properly, and it's only held on by string tension, so if you bump into something while playing (this has happened to me) you can knock the whole thing out of whack. The Woody has an EB0 style 3-point bridge that will intonate more accurately and stay that way.

My 2 Cents :)

3. rythmstick

rythmstick

Sep 23, 2003
    Ontario Canada
    If you are looking for a hollow body sound, a vintage Gibson EB 2 semiacoustic is a very nice bass, hard to find but if it is the sound that you want then I suggest looking into it. I have a 1967 and I love it so much. They are around $1300.

4. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Rockablilly, bluesey, 50's? Go with the Allen Woody Man! From what I've heard ( I've only played the Jack Cassady, not the allan woody) they sound great, and the vibe is much more what you are going to be playing. Look around for used basses though, there are tons of different shortscale semi-hollow basses out there from Epiphone, gibson, vox, etc. That may just fit the bill. If you are intersted in a full scale bass cosider the Jack Cassady (Aweosme bass) or the new Ibanez artcore basses.

5. byrdsfan

byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    L.I.
    The Dano Longhorn, unlike its name, is a shortscale. It's the U-hsaped one. Danos are sort of semihollow by design and have a great ringing tone perfect for country. They also sound nice unamplified. And they are cheap.

6. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Second that!

7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I'd look for a DeArmond Starfire Bass - I like mine:

[​IMG]
    (Lifted pic - mine is red)

8. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I am a big semi hollow fan myself so this is what i reccomend.Their is not many choices except alot of the Hofner Violin basses and their copys when it comes to short scale, these basses do have alot of set up intonating issues just soemthing for you to think about. If you are willing to go with a 34inc scale my vote goes with the Jack Casady bass, with the right kind of amplification you can really bring out the acoustical propiertys of the bass and you can getr them at a good used price. Best of Luck

9. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Third it... meets all of the criteria and retro as all get out!

-robert

10. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    i got a woody sig a week ago and am very happy. great looks, great playability, great tone. the hard part is finding one to try. it's worth searching one out.