Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ARGH SUPERGLUE!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, Dec 6, 2004.

1. OUCH! I was just gluing the sheath of my knife back together(it's falling apart), and i suddenly got a sudden rush of pain in my left eye. I wa using superglue. I washed my eye for a few seconds under some water. I don't see how glue could have got in my eye, as the glue was pointing downwarss, and there was a couple of feet between my face and what i was gluing, so i doubt it could have shot out of the bottle into my eye. Does it give off gases that can irritate eyes? :( :crying:

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Maybe YOU gave off some gasses that irritate eyes.
    :spit:

brad cook

ps - At least there wasn't a bird involved in the latest injury report

3. Safety first, Nick...

At least you didn't superglue your hands together or attempt to go potty after using it and stick your hands to your...

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    superglue can give of gasses that can cause mild irritation. More than likely you may hava had a tiny bit on your hand and whiped your eye without even realizing it. Most eye irritations happen this way. If your eye isn't glued shut i wouldnt worry about it, although if it's still irritated in a day i would see a doctor. even then, all they might be able to do is see if you damaged your cornea. a long time ago my brother and i were in a fight in the backyard. i got the bright idea to throw a gas can at him and ended up getting a drop of gas in my left eye. to this day a have a small spot in that eye where i dont see so well. :p

5. Well i havent got a glues eye, and i can see. I just have this stinging sensation in my eye..........however, if i worry about something loads, my brain will tell me it hurts, even if it doesnt.

6. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    If that's the case, you've got bigger problems than super glue, my friend.

If you didn't actually put glue in your eye (which I'm not entirely ruling out), than the irritation SHOULD go away in a few hours. If you DID put glue in your eye, then you should involve someone with a medical degree. And if your brain is lying to you, then there's no hope.

7. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I believe it to be called a psycho-somatic reaction, and its a well documented condition.

8. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    Sometimes this happens. You'll be doing it in a shed or garage, where all the creepie crawlies are - so your kinda on the edge of your seat. You'll get a shiver, making your eye feel as if its about to water. That is when you rub your eye, making it worse.

9. _Unregistered_

_Unregistered_

Nov 3, 2004
    ...and Me. I get it too. I find the gasses that come off cyanoacrylate glues to be horribly irritating to the eyes. I loathe using them. They are actually well known for giving off gasses. This is a quality actually used by law enforcement. Someone figured out that superglue left in a locker (open) out-gassed, and resolved all the fingerprints on things in the locker...so now the cops use it in a fishtank, to raise the fingerprints on items for easier identification. Apparently the cyanoacrylate works by crystallizing onto moisture. That would explain why it "goes after" yer eyes...

10. Admit it, you were huffing the glue.... ;)

11. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Or perhaps gluing wounded birds to trees. :rolleyes:

12. why the hell is it that every acident i have is related to birds? Just shut up with it, alrite?

13. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    It's because everyone on the internet is a funnay man.

14. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    Oh, man... My uncle superglued one of his eyes shut once. Painful story.

15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

One time my sister accidentally put super glue in her eye, thinking it was contact lens moisturizer. Yes, the use of alcohol and other controlled substances was involved.

16. Diowulf

Diowulf Guest

Aug 4, 2004
    San Rafael CA
    Whoa man...what the heck did it do to her eye? Did it bun a hole in her eye or something? can she still see out of it? please share :) .

17. it hurts? go to a doctor.

18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

It burned real bad. She called her doctor, and he told her that if it still burned after three days, to go to an opthalmologist. He told her that there was really nothing he or an emergency room could do for her. He also told her that it probably didn't do any permanent damage to her eye, unless it made contact with the cornea. If it did, he said that there was a chance that she might have a scratched cornea, or a lesion on the cornea.

19. Ahh. Cyanoacrylate. Good ol' CA. Note the part about cyano. Derivative of cyanide.

Hell yes it makes an irrating smell/vapor. If you could bond anything together like a badass you'd have a powerful odor.

Next time try elmer's. Sucka :D

20. in 9th grade a kid in my class thought his pipette was full of water and shot me in the eye. turns out it was hydrocloric acid. i screamed. like a girl.