Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ARGH! They sent the wrong bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JTGale, Nov 29, 2004.

1. JTGale

JTGale

Oct 26, 2004
    Hummelstown, PA
    OK, I know. I should have figured out some way to deal locally with this. But, I turned to a major retailer to purchase a new Lakland. I have had this "thing" for Lakland lately and finally decided to put my hard-earned cash on the line to make myself real happy. I have been all smiles and on pins and needles since ordering it last week. But today, when it arrived, it was the wrong bass! Not like it was the wrong finish/color or the wrong fretboard. It was simply the wrong model. I called the retailer and was told "Sorry, send it back." But the thick of it is, I will not get my new bass until they get this one back at the warehouse. So, in my estimation, I will have about another 2 weeks-worth of waiting because someone boxed up the wrong one!

Sorry for the diatribe. I just needed to vent. The gas has been getting to me. Thanks for listening!

... still jonesing for a Lakland ...

2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    That sucks dude, but you should have known not to deal with mailorder stuff. It appears that you had a premonition that something bad would happen - listen to your Jiminy Cricket. Next time, do it right; play the bass you buy at a proper store! :ninja:

3. that pisses me off...a mistake like thats F's you over...you should get a discount :D

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    He's in Bettendorf, Iowa. That doesn't sound like a big bass mecca to me. Probably have to drive over to Davenport or Moline to even find a bass, and even then it'd be a Cort or something. Shoot, you can't even buy a new Lakland in America's 7th largest city.

5. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Oops. I guess I should have looked at that. Still, though, if I were going to be buying a nice bass like a Lakland, I'd want to try before I buy.

But hey, if they are willing to work with you to send you the correct bass, that's good news. Heck, I bet all of us have waited too long for a bass to arrive; I'm currently waiting for my neck installation which should have been done two weeks ago.... :mad:

6. JTGale

JTGale

Oct 26, 2004
    Hummelstown, PA
    You are correct, sir. There are 2 stores in the area that are worth mentioning (and both are over in Davenport). One is a small chain that rotates gear between its stores. Nice place, but the stuff on the walls is more than a little used. The other store carries many major brands (i.e. Fender, Gibson, etc.) but they charge full retail for everything. They will not dicker or give you a deal or anything. Oh well. My new baby will get here sooner or later. :meh:

7. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Full retail! Gah! That should be illegal. I worked for a company like that once in New Orleans; I was able to get them to change their ways, but it was too late. Smarter businesses moved in, and put them out of business within a span of two years. 185 years in business down the drain due to their inconsiderate pricing policy. I can't say that I had any pity when they went down.

8. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    If I were you Id ask for a partial refund or some free strings.

Tell them that you paid to have your bass in at that time and since they failed to deliver it on time they didnt hold up their end of the deal. Ask that they compensate you for that extra bit of service you paid for and didnt get.

9. oohh oohhh.. im telling Mr.Lakin!

seriously Dan might seem like a nice guy and all..but from what i've read he'd stomp a mudhole into any retailer that messes up his customers :mad:

:D

10. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    This would be a great thing if the bass they sent was a more expensive model. hehe :)

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I walked into a shop, just after they had got a big shipment in - tried all the Laklands and found which one I liked best, paid for it and walked out with it under my arm!!

That's the way to do it!! ;)

12. Check out Mr. Smug over there.... :smug: :D

13. To do that, I have to take a plane before...:D

bassjunky: i hope everything's gonna get fixed. Nick man's right! You could ask for a partial refund or so. I also hope they'll pay the wrong bass shipping back.

14. JTGale

JTGale

Oct 26, 2004
    Hummelstown, PA
    Thanks for the sympathy, guys. I am supposed to call the retailer back today about e-mailing me a shipping label. For some reason, they weren't very forthcoming on sending me one. I had to initiate the suggestion that THEY pay for it to come back to them. :rollno: Kinda weird ... It was almost like they didn't believe me that they sent the wrong one. The scanning label on the outside of the box is correct to what I ordered, but the contents are wrong. Upon closer inspection last night, the box look like it has been opened and then repacked at some point. There is both older and newer tape on it. Maybe I am not the first person to get it? But, for the 10 seconds I played it before immediately packing it back up, I really liked it! :D

And you are right, I should ask for a little something for my troubles. So, I will! They at least owe me that.

15. JTGale

JTGale

Oct 26, 2004
    Hummelstown, PA
    I may be showing my age, here (and I am really not THAT old!), but I was gigging the upper plains states 12 years ago and was working for a music store as a field rep at the same time. I still remember how our pricing structure worked and on most items, I could give an immediate 25% discount on retail prices every day of the week. And I did. No sense in dancing around the bush. I just wanted to give the best deal possible all the time. And the store STILL made their minimum required cashflow which was 30%. (And yes, all you math majors out there can figure it up. That means on most items the store only paid in the neighborhood of 45% of retail to pick up the product! Although we did get some hella deals that made that look a little paltry at times.)

Hope I didn't give away any trade secrets ... :D

16. newdull

newdull Supporting Member

Feb 27, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Does the name of this store happen to start with a W?
    If so, I know your pain. I'm lived in Iowa City for 30 years and gave up on that store a long time ago.

17. JTGale

JTGale

Oct 26, 2004
    Hummelstown, PA
    Actually, the other store starts with W. The one I was talking about that is full-retail starts with a G. But now that I think about it, the prices at W are mostly retail, too. Go figure ... :rollno:

18. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Mine started with a W. Werlein's Music in New Orleans. Oldest must store in America. Now defunct due to some seriously bad business.

If they had a grave, I would have danced on it. That was the worst job I've ever had.