1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

argh... wretched input jack!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ss81, May 2, 2006.

1. ss81

ss81

May 29, 2005
    I've got this fantastic 1981 Ibanez Blazer bass that's almost perfect, except for some wiring problems (sound cuts in and out, I've been able to determine that it's not a problem with the cables or amp I'm using). I'm thinking it's probably time to replace the input jack. Unfortunately, it appears that this hasn't been touched in all of its 25 years, and the nut is stuck to the threads. I've tried WD-40 which has not helped, and at this point the threads are spinning along with the nut independent of the rest of the jack on the other side of the pickguard. Unfortunately, it appears that my only choice is to break the jack in half, but how? there's the nut pressed firmly against the outer side of the pickguard, and there's a washer pressed firmly against the inner side. i really don't want to wreck the pickguard since it's a discontinued model from 1981, and that would severely lower the resale value. Not sure if there's any advice that can help me at this point, but if anybody has any ideas I've love to hear them!

2. get two wrenches put one on either side and torque the hell out of it. or a wrench and a pair of pliers. it cant possibly be stuck permenantly, just "fenagle" it off

3. jeff_bass28

jeff_bass28 Guest

Mar 21, 2006
    Best idea I have...ask Dan Erlewine @ StewMac.

4. ss81

ss81

May 29, 2005
    Unfortunately, both sides are rotating independently of each other. At this point, I think it's hacksaw time.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Is it just a regular switchcraft type jack? I'd try drilling it out from the top, but hanging on to the nut with a crescent wrench. Should loosen it up.

6. Stu L.

Stu L.

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I was thinking Dremel, but a hacksaw would work.

Jeff's idea would work too (I will meet Erlewine one day...) but I think you can solve this problem yourself.

7. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    You can probably cut it off carefully with a hacksaw, or fix the one that's on there already.

Usually you can just add some more tension to the spring contact and make sure your solder joints are good.

8. ss81

ss81

May 29, 2005
    Okay, just an update, I have already mangled this input jack beyond any hope of functionality. At this point, I need to focus my energies on getting it off the pickguard. This really doesn't look good, I may have to look into getting a new custom pickguard cut... :crying:

9. Stu L.

Stu L.

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Not that big of a deal, you could DIY. Or hit WD, they do customs with a tracing.

10. ss81

ss81

May 29, 2005
    Well, it certainly wasn't pretty, but after a great deal of grief I was finally able to wrestle the nut from the jack. It put up a fight literally right down to the last quarter turn to get it off and the jack is mangled beyond recognition, but it's over now, and I can get on with my life. Thank you all for your support :).

11. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    Good news!

Did you manage to save the pickguard too?

12. ss81

ss81

May 29, 2005
    Yes, I was able to do all of this with only minor scratching on the visible side of the pickguard (the other side isn't pretty though, lots of gouges).