Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ARGH!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by boofis, Jul 14, 2004.

1. Hey
    I was wondering if anyone has had this same problem -
    You can hear YOUR tone in your head but you just can't describe and find it in any bass! Its driving me crazy! Anyone ever had/have this problem. The only word so far I have come up with for my tone I can hear is bite and crunch!!! Any thoughts?!?
    Thanks
    Troy

2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I really stumbled on mine... Pickups by Kent Armstrong and a Demeter preamp! Killer sound!!

3. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    You need to take a trip to one of these bass superstores, and plan on having about 5 hours to 2 days. Short of that, it will remain in your head.

4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I don't know if there are any bass superstores in
    Australia

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

That's right - I definitely had a "quest for the holy grail" as regards bas tone and none of the basses in local shops had got near this - but over several years of going to London bass shops and trying basses for 2-3 hours at a time, I was able to find out exactly what I liked and what I didn't.

So now I very rarely post around the gear-oriented parts of TB - I know, by experience! :)

6. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Modulus, maybe? :D

7. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    It took me over twenty years to find it, but then we didn't have the internet, so I was relatively ignorant of many things.

As it turned out, the sound in my head relied heavily on flatwounds.

Who knew?

8. I think I've found it!!!!!!!! :D:D:D Cort Curbow. :O! It was just lacking a bit of something! I'll work on it though! Maybe a graphite neck :O! :D:D:D! HAPPY! Have a good one!
    Thanks
    Troy

9. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    For me, it has something to do with fretless and TI Flats. That's as far as I am at the moment though -- pretty good for only playing since March 02, though.

10. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I know how to get that sound, but I'm not going to tell you. :D

Seriously, I've never had that problem. I have tried different basses and found sounds that I like. I don't have one sound in my head waiting to be recreated. I suppose that makes me either boring or lucky.

Anyway, my recommendation is to enjoy the sounds that can get from your instruments and perhaps some day you will stumble on to "THE" sound.

Best of luck.

11. Beammeup

Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    Denmark
    Hi,

My recommendation is to:

1) Be curious

2) Browse your local dealers often.

3) Don't hessitate to try new gear (It doesn't mean that you're buying, if you're trying)

4) Browse your talkbass.com everyday for updates and new knowledge

5) Browse sites like ebay etc.

Kind your eyes and mind open and don't necessary pay attention to any specific brands or pricelevel.

Use your ears.

12. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    We all have this problem. It's called GAS! Just do what the rest of us do and keep buying and selling as many basses/heads/cabinets as you can! It's part of being a true bassist! :help: