Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ARGH!!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Freaky Fender, Jan 19, 2003.

1. Ok, so i walk into GC today, limited selection (as always) So as i go over with the Pedulla Thunderbass, and i trip over a stand (don't worry, rib cage broke the bass's fall.. nice and soft too ;) )
    , as I get up, i see this guy eyeing me. I sit down, and start play the Bass Breakdown Section from VROOOM, and a little Jaco-ish Groove. The guy that gave me the look starts talking to me, and we go into our gear, and then he says "Where did you get that Jaco groove from?" I said that i had came up with up. He responds "Well, you have good gear, but your only 13, so your probably not that great."

I was this close from ripping his head off...

ARGH!!! Why is it people always seem to base talent on age?!?!

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    "Oof!"
    "Oh, pardon me. Did that headstock hit you in the nads? I'm terribly sorry."

3. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Tell 'em you have a pituitary gland disorder and you're actually 68 and you're still pissed off because they wouldn't let you fight the Reds in Korea.

Or just turn it up and ignore 'em.

4. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    This is GENIUS!!!

YOUR ONLY 13? JESUS! I thought you were like, 18 at the least! Just goes to show you! The man was an idiot, if your good, your good,... i mean, he was saying "Wow, thats a real tight groove! but your young, so it sucks"....moron.

Don't let it bother you, just keep playing man. and learn something HE thinks is really great, than go back, and rip it in front of his face. Thats what i did when i picked up bass.

Ah,,, i remember it as if it were yesterday....

I had only been playing for 2 months, and was not doing TO bad, but i walked into a local music store, and picked up a bass. A guy walked in, and watched me like a weirdo. i just kept playing what i knew.... he then said, "How old are you?" i said "15" he said, oh, don't worry, you'll get better. and laughed.

I then went home, learned some jaco, just because i HEARD he was good, and it took me a while, but i went back. He worked at this place now, and i took a bass off the wall, and proceded to RIP THE HELL OUT OF CONTINUM(? can't spell) AND "THE CHICKEN" right in front of him. I don't know if he remembered me or not, but I still felt gratified.

Bass is my calling, and i don't think i would have learned those songs that quicly if i wasent so darn spiteful.

So like i said, BRUSH HIM OFF LIKE SO MUCH DUST ON A FRETBOARD!!!!!

5. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    you are the coolest kid ever, you'll get noticed eventually, so don't worry :)

maybe you should grow a beard or something

6. CDuff

CDuff

Sep 14, 2002
    Europe
    After Bakithi Kumalo, Bruce Lee is my god. he lists six diseases of the mind, here are numbers 2,3 and 4:

The desire to resort to technical cunning.

The desire to display all that has been learned.

The desire to awe the enemy.

IF you're good, so be it. No need to prove it, especially not to ignorant idiots.
    right, I'm off

7. You're young so you can't be any good, eh?
    There was an eleven year old kid at the Bass Bash who was Vic Bailey's pupil, and he was in-freaking-sane.
    Nw if I had gone in there, I wonder...would the guy have complimented me because I'm 18 and have been playing for three years? Because you sure as hell wouldn't have guessed I'd been playing any longer than maybe one year.

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Worked for me.

[​IMG]

9. hand him the bass, make him show you HIS talent, then show him up and make him look like a fool.

then do the hitting-him-in-the-nads thing anyway.

10. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico

11. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    its a stereotype...

see in peoples eyes...this is how it works:

1) age=experiance

2) experiance=talent

3) 13=low age

4) low age=minimal experiance

5) minimal experiance=not alot of telent

sry man thats how it works....happens to me too...and im 16...which is not a whole lot older than 13 but still...its sumthing

bp13

12. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Dude your only 13? And all this time I thought you were some skilled experienced player...;) BUt seriously, you can probably out-play my sorry butt and I'm 18. By the way, where do 13 year olds get money to become supporting members...i was one poor junior high student...lol..

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    14 my ass. That was me at 17 (and a trimmed beard. Used to be like 8 inches long. Longer than my hand, at any rate).

14. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    your 18? didn't know that... im 20 and played for 3 years.. i still think i suck

DM

15. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    I don't agree with #2...

Talent is what your born with.. Music will shrivel down to talent. If there are 2 guys that played for the same length, same way through out their lives and one had more talent, he will cut through..

Talent does NOT equal to Experience in anyway shape or form IMHO. Experience is what you gain through out your life.. Talent is what you have and its up to you to use the advantage towards your experience

my opinion

DM

16. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    i totally agree...im just saying that most people would just assume that someone playing for 10 years will be better than someone playing than 2 years...

im not saying thats right...thats just usually how people look at it

bp13

17. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    There are a great many bassists who would agree that Jaco was better after 2 years than they were after 10 :)

18. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    i kno that...its some peoples distorted view that im talking about...i don't feel that way about age or experiance...

bp13

19. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

LMAO! OK, now I've got water running down my monitor......and my nose!:D :D

20. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

This is very wise grasshopper!!!! ;)