Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ARGHHH.... INSURANCE

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by chips, Apr 21, 2005.

1. gday badgers

i recently rear ended another car coming back from a road trip. nothing too major, or so i thought. it was a slow crash where we were banked up at some traffic lights and i lost concentration, and BOOM BOOM. i drive a van, and the car i hit was a trayback, so they tray was in the perfect position to push in all the metal between my bumper/grill and window. so my bumper, lights, front panel, air con, steering, passenger door is rather f***ed. bent the guys tray out of place with about $1200 damage. because im only a P plater, insurance is expensive :meh: luckily the guy was cool about it and we got him to say my step dad was driving instead of me, this way the excess is $200 instead of $900!!! so this mornin we go to take my car into the insurance. my car is worth about $9000, but we got it for $5500 with my step dad being a car salesman. so its only insured for $5500. now the lady decides to say, if the amount of damage adds up to 80% of the amount its insured for, they're going to write it off :eek: this means that i probably wont get my $2000 stereo out of it!!! :bawl: From here, i get they payout of $5500, minus the $200 excess, and the rest of my premium for 6 months. so im loooking at ending up with a MAXIMUM of $5000, then i have to payout the rest of my loan, which is $6500 ish, so its gonna cost me ATLEAST $1500 to write of my car. then i have to buy a new car, more insurance, transfer papers etc. and once they have the quote that the car is written off, its their property, and i cant say no, i dnt want to write iit off, i'll take it to my panel beater frend. if i decide to stop this from all happenin now, i have to pay for my damage at a panel beaters, and they guys damage, so again im looking at lots of money. all the while, RAC will just put it to auction and sell it easy for $3000, and im left in a funked up situation. :mad: :bawl: insurance ppl suck, such a money making scam! thankyou for giving me an outlet to my anger... now to go slap the hell outta my bass to take my mind off things :bassist:

Peace (to everyone except RAC)
    Chips

2. to make me feel better, just got the call, its a write off :( i get to buy it back for $500, then have to get it fixed myself

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    What's a "P Plater"?

4. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    "Provisional" license maybe? Youthful driver or something.

5. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    >>>Translation:

Trayback=hatchback
    P-Plater=provisional driver/learner's permit
    Excess=deductible
    Write off=total loss
    Lady=insurance adjuster
    Panel beater=Body shop
    RAC=Royal Auto Club=insurance company

6. trayback is a ute, not a hatchback. :bag:

7. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    I was going to suggest buying back the salvage. $500 to buy back your car is cheap. Do it and get it fixed. If your dad is in the industry, I'm sure he knows someone who can fix it at a discounted price. BTW, if you paid $5500, what makes you think the RAC should pay any more? Since you damaged the other fellow's vehicle, or if he's claiming injuries, the RAC should pay for that up to your policy limits for property damage and/or bodily injury. Good thing nobody was seriously hurt or killed. If that would have happened, the RAC would probably be your best friend right about now. No matter what you think about insurance, it can save people from financial ruin or going to jail. Sounds like the accident was your fault.
    Get your car fixed, consider it a learning experience, and move on.

Slug

8. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    >>Ah...ok...My Aussie isn't so good.

9. i was under the impression that my car was covered under market value, and not an agreed value. was my fault, slow crash so no1 was hurt. if you saw my car, u would understand why im angry at it being a write off, its still driveable, the fronts just pushed in and the steering is stiff. taking it to a guy we know. but im still outta pocket atleast $3000 probably for something that woulda happend at about 15km/h... something so small can be so big :meh:

10. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    >>>> Collision repair is expensive. This is the business I deal in every day. I'm not sure how your policy reads, but generally cars are worth an "actual cash value" or a "fair market value" depending on make, model, age, mileage, and condition. Or, in other words, whatever they are selling for in the newspaper or trade ads is about what they're worth. Sounds like you need a grille, headlamps radiator, a/c condensor, maybe a hood, a steering rack, bumper, frame repair, and some internal structural repair. Maybe you can find some parts at the breaker's yard, or as we say in the US, the "junkyard" or "wrecking yard". That will save you some money. Sounds like you've got $3000-$3500 in damage there.
    PS, most auto policies won't cover custom sound systems without some type or policy endorsement for custom equipment, so make sure your insurance agent has you adequately covered in the event your window gets smashed and your sound system gets nicked. I see that all the time.

Best of luck

Slug

11. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    Here's a little something that might cheer you up. My 1964 E-Type. Enjoy.

Good Luck

Slug

12. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    They don't build 'em like they used to...Everything's plastic and tin foil these days.

Slug