1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Aria & Aria Pro II Club (Part Four)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Deathblade Eric, Aug 23, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Continued from Part Three

As we finished part III showing off our collections, here's a shameless repost of my bijou clutchette:

[​IMG]

L-R: 1981 TSB-400, 1983 RSB-Special I, 1983 RSB Deluxe-5, 1984 ZZB-Custom, 1980 Batwing SB-900, 1980 Batwing SB-1000 (fretless & heavily modded).

Rudy T likes this.
  2. twocargar

twocargar Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Manchester, NH
    Nice fleet of Arias! What, no couch pose? ;)

3. Basstovsky

Basstovsky The guy with the dumb username...

Feb 29, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Part 4! All I currently have is my CSB-300-something-or-other, I love this bass.
    After the last couple pages of the last thread, I am GASing for a blue Elite, that finish is such a great color.

[​IMG]

4. Winston TK

Winston TK Hairpiece Adventurer

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    Great looking specimen of a Cardinal there. Nice!

5. Prostheta

Prostheta

Mar 19, 2010
    Pori, Finland
    Your RSB Deluxe-5 is always the one that sticks in my mind, Pete. I really love that bass.

6. pskafidas

pskafidas

Oct 16, 2012
    Damn it...it looks like I HAVE to buy an SB-R60 and SB-R80... Take a look at these photos Prostheta.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Elite has 40mm nut, Black'n Gold has 43mm nut....

I'm confused now. Do the 18mm string pitch 5 ply necks have a different profile to the 18mm string pitch 3 ply necks? Are late model Black'n Golds with the 3 ply necks different to my early 5 ply neck models? Are SB-Rs, Elites and Black'n Golds three unique models? Has anybody got an early model SB-R or late model Black'n Gold to give us some nut measurements?

Canadian APII likes this.
  7. My first bass I purchased back in 1986 and I still have it. Don't play it as much now, but still will take it to a practice for fun.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kirillstokes and Alex_SG like this.
  8. [​IMG]

blipndub, Rudy T and Rarcauto1 like this.
  9. Prostheta

Prostheta

Mar 19, 2010
    Pori, Finland
    I'm genuinely unsure. I would imagine that it is within the realms of possibility that the Black n' Golds themselves might have gone through a sort of spec shift as you suggest. I think that the SB-R was the earlier expression of those models whereas the later Elites which probably eschewed the laminations came later with a little overlap. There is sufficient evidence to support the potential for Black n' Golds merely being a cosmetically distinct "version" of the other models in the range, ie. SB-Elites, SB-Rx0s. It would be logical to presume that one common construction under the paint makes more sense in a manufacturing context.

Perhaps anybody with these models might be able to confirm or disprove this theory? :)

10. Prostheta

Prostheta

Mar 19, 2010
    Pori, Finland
    For reference, my IGB-50 beater has a slender profile. I prefer 43mm myself rather than the Jazz bass craziness of 40mm. In fact, the bass I am making at the moment has exactly that nut width.

Jason - what do you take from this yourself? Do you think a 40mm or 43mm nut width would suit the retrofit neck for your bass? It seems both specs are on the cards so ultimately personal preference is king.

11. zuma

zuma

Dec 21, 2006
    East Los Angeles
    Excuse me all. I have an announcement to make. I've had my SB-1000 for a while now and I would never part with it. We've been through a lot together, however, as Obi-Wan once said, "There is another."

I am the lucky winner of the elusive SB-1010 that was recently on eBay. I was most fortunate not to get in to a bidding war with anyone. I'm looking at YOU pskafidas. ;)

As I expressed to my pal ModuMan, I'm 5' 5" first thing in the morning and having a 1010 strapped around me will create an optical illusion that's as "John Taylor" as I'm ever going to be. Only you guys will say "Hey, that's not a brass bridge!" Seriously though, I am super excited to have this mini-beast in my care. I will do a video review for sure in the near future. Everybody send it safe shipping vibes!

And Prostheta...I guess I'll need two bridges now.

12. Prostheta

Prostheta

Mar 19, 2010
    Pori, Finland
    Okay, cool on all counts. Better get practicing your light touch and vibrato then!

13. ModuMan

ModuMan How many is too many? Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Bristol, CT #19
    I think Zuma's going to be floating for a few days. What a great score! :)

14. Prostheta

Prostheta

Mar 19, 2010
    Pori, Finland
    I want to know his string choice. Plus, send it over here for me to set it up for you. Yes, that's it. A setup.
    **cough**

15. pskafidas

pskafidas

Oct 16, 2012
    Hey Zuma, Congratulations dude... Did you notice it was initially listed on the Bay as an SB1000. I actually emailed him and told him it might be a 1010. Now your Padouk Red SB has a little brother to play with ;) Looking forward to the Vid review. You won't believe how many times I've actually viewed your YouTube vids.... Congrats again....

16. pskafidas

pskafidas

Oct 16, 2012
    I've actually made some progress on the Aria nut width mystery. Looking through the catalogues on the matsumoku.org website I found these interesting facts:

Aria offered 3 nut widths
    SB1000,900,700&600 -> Standard
    SB-R150,SB-R80,SB-R60 -> Narrow
    Elite I & Elite II -> Super Narrow

The original Black'n'Golds were a limited edition SB-R80 & SB-R60. That's why mine have the 43mm Narrow nut.

In the 85 catalogue, Phantom blue was discontinued and Black was offered as a new color alternative for the SB Elite. These black Elites had the black bridge and look like a Black'n'Gold but had the super narrow bridge. Technically these bases are standard SB Elites. That's probably why they also have the 3 Ply neck.

17. zuma

zuma

Dec 21, 2006
    East Los Angeles
    Well, here is well you will bust my original introduction. I actually DO have another Aria already. It's a red CSB-380 that I de-fretted. I bought it for a song. When I got the fretless bug, I also got the wannabe-luthiery bug. It was my cheapest bass so it was the lucky candidate. It came out pretty decent actually. I've used it for several recordings lately. It was the perfect match for the material. Now, to answer your question Carl...it sounds amazing with Pyramid flats. So, since the 1010 is also 32" scale I HAVE NO IDEA what I'll put on it! :p

I actually had an offline conversation with Alex about it being listed as a 1000. Incidentally, he was the one who alerted me to the auction so THANK YOU Moduman!!! So...you HAD seen it?! I feel even luckier now. :p

I'm honored you've looked at my videos! Thank You for that!

My "Padoukie" will enjoy the break the Little Beast will give it.

18. zuma

zuma

Dec 21, 2006
    East Los Angeles
    Detective Pskafidas has spoken. Great info.

figital likes this.
  19. zuma

zuma

Dec 21, 2006
    East Los Angeles
    This soldier has seen battle. A fine warrior indeed.

blipndub likes this.
  20. Prostheta

Prostheta

Mar 19, 2010
    Pori, Finland
    I spotted a Black n' Gold for sale on eBay a while back which had a lot of paint stripped from it revealing a three-ply neck. I would bet that it also possessed the same nut width of the other solid-colour SBs in the range at the time. Catalogues are useful reference however Aria have so many idiosyncrasies and exceptions I would only use them as a basis to start from.

It would be good if Jason and Tee had more time to feed into this. They are in prime positions to relay the weirdnesses of Mat Arias from what is on sale in Japan right now. It seems there are plenty of things that never got as far as the catalogues which are creeping around to flummox our ideas of things being standard and predictable!

I am right in thinking that:
    - Super Narrow, 40mm
    - Narrow, 43mm
    - Standard 46mm
    ?

Canadian APII likes this.