1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Aria & Aria Pro II Club (Part Four)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Deathblade Eric, Aug 23, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Canadian APII

Canadian APII Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Ottawa Ontario
    The white one. It looks like it has been around the block a few times. If it plays well make it your gigging bass and leave it as is.
    As for the black one Those dings can be made invisible or at least lessened. I have a few techniques that work well.
    This one had a dozen dings and one 1.5 inch gouge under where your right arm rests.
    y 027.

zuma, Bartelby and Brian D like this.
  2. Brian D

Brian D

Dec 2, 2004
    Dublin, Ireland
    Try Daddario NYXL instead, or DR hi-beams strings. I think both work very well on SBs so should be good on a CSB.

fermata likes this.
  3. zuma

zuma

Dec 21, 2006
    East Los Angeles
    I say re-fret the tone-beast.

4. zuma

zuma

Dec 21, 2006
    East Los Angeles
    I second Brian D on the DRs, however, I prefer the Sunbeams. If you want to go in a completely different direction with it... I don't think I'll ever remove the Pyramid Flats on my CSB380. Here is a song I recorded with that very combo:

You're combining the shorter scale punch with the gooey Pyramids. It's a great combo. Here's another one after I de-fretted it:

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
    sears, Canadian APII and fermata like this.
  5. infamusblkdeath

infamusblkdeath Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2009
    Schenectady
    After a long week, I figured should finally get around to making a post about my NBD. Traded an Ibanez bass out of my stable for this TSB 350 over this past week, and picked it up Wednesday after it had been shipped in. Put the music nomad care package I got this past Xmas to work and got everything all cleaned up. Replace this odd strap appendage that came on the bass, and slapped a set of GHS steels on it and boom..

Gotta say it really lives up to all the reviews and name as well. Man what a punchy, thunderous little bass! Thanks to the flexibility of my Eden combo, I was able to get quite a few tones from it despite the simplicity of the bass. Massive, bright piano like sounds, to pounding dirty lows that land in the ball park of Cliff Burton style tone (and if you've ever heard that these basses CRUSH with fuzz/distortion, you better believe it!). I sent the pics to the band as well over text, and literally told them "Get ready to feel the wrath of Thor next practice".

Only question I have for the thread is, can you guys tell me what year this guy was made? I feel clueless as to how the Aria serial numbers work, but my best guess was 1981.

0411182117. 0413181620. 0411182121. 0413181504.

zuma likes this.
  6. Canadian APII

Feb 3, 2013
    Ottawa Ontario
    Yup. Early June 81.

infamusblkdeath likes this.
  7. zuma

zuma

Dec 21, 2006
    East Los Angeles
    That's a pretty little devil ya got there. :hyper:

infamusblkdeath likes this.
  8. fermata

fermata

Nov 10, 2015
    Mmmm mmmm--that sounds delicious! I have Fender flats on my CSB-300 right now, and they're starting to settle in, so I'll stick with them for a while. But I love the thump of those Pyramids. I assume you're using a long scale set?

9. zuma

zuma

Dec 21, 2006
    East Los Angeles
    I simply don't recall! The silks at the headstock end clear the nut pretty comfortably so you're probably right.

Free shipping in the US! Great price for these:
    Pyramid Gold Polished Chrome Pure Nickel Flat Wound Bass Strings Long Scale 40-105

fermata likes this.
  10. dangerdanger

dangerdanger

Dec 26, 2017
    Anyone have an Aria Pro-II ZZB pickup for sale?

11. fermata

fermata

Nov 10, 2015
    Have you encountered any issues with the 38” winding length on DRs, or are you using their ‘short scale’ length (34”) wind?

12. zuma

zuma

Dec 21, 2006
    East Los Angeles
    I don't have any DRs on my CSB. I can say that the regular long scale DRs work on the SB-1000 just fine. I would ask over at JustStrings. They're very helpful about this type of matter.

fermata likes this.
  13. Brian D

Brian D

Dec 2, 2004
    Dublin, Ireland
    I use the long scale ones with no issues.

fermata likes this.
  14. Jonnyfox

Jonnyfox

Apr 28, 2015
    Ireland
    Hi Guys, first time posting here, loving the thread. Wondering if someone can shed some light on an Aria I picked up cheap (to be honest the flight case alone is worth more than what I paid for it, it came with case included) I'm not sure if it's a genuine Aria as the neck looks strange to me, maybe a repair job?? It looks worse than it is really, feels really solid.

Attached Files:

wintremute likes this.
  15. zuma

zuma

Dec 21, 2006
    East Los Angeles
    Hmmm. Though I do see the cracks, could that be one of the set neck SBs? I can't remember if it was the 600 or 700 that came in a set neck for a certain year.

16. Jonnyfox

Jonnyfox

Apr 28, 2015
    Ireland
    Interesting, never knew they had a set neck version, I just found an old thread where someone was selling one. He says they are very rare and were only in production in 1981 which seems to match the serial number as it start with 1. Looks like I have the SB-600
    SOLD - FS: Aria Pro II SB600 Matsumoku Set Neck Superbass (Rare Model)

17. Brian D

Brian D

Dec 2, 2004
    Dublin, Ireland
    Yeah, it's an SB-600 from early July '81. Apparently they were only made as set neck in '81. The knobs aren't original and originals are hard to come by these days.

The cracking would be just the lacquer cracking as the joint was so tight, and the different woods would move at different rates.

Prostheta and Vic Firth like this.
  18. Jonnyfox

Jonnyfox

Apr 28, 2015
    Ireland
    Yeah, I've just noticed the knobs on some google images, I'll be changing them anyway as one is broken. Thanks for the reply's guys. Pretty happy with finding this bass, just stumbled upon the ad online for a very cheap price, the owner was retiring from the music scene, he got the flight case custom built for the bass an even threw in an his Carlsbro Viper 250 combo with it, not that I need it but it was nice of him...lol got the whole lot for €200

TrevorR, zuma and fermata like this.
  19. Vic Firth

Vic Firth

Sep 3, 2016
    Original SB600 (2nd run) with set-neck. According to the pics the cracks seem just in the gloss finish and seem not affect the set-neck joint or the structure

$T2eC16FHJIYE9qUcNUTKBQLSCNWR8!~~60_57.

wintremute likes this.
  20. Canadian APII

Feb 3, 2013
    Ottawa Ontario
    I hope that thumb rest isn't on yours because it seriously devalues it. I repair these thumb rests often. I just repaired an SB1000 I picked up for a few hundred dollars. You can see it on page 119. It should have been fifteen hundred but it had the thumb rest. I can make a clear thumb rest that sticks on and wont devalue it.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018