1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Aria & Aria Pro II Club (Part Four)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Deathblade Eric, Aug 23, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Vic Firth

Vic Firth

Sep 3, 2016
    CanadianAPII is right: the thumb-rest is a blasphemy (with the only exception of the Fender Jazz Bass that has the pickguard with the thumb-rest screw holes from the factory); on the Aria SBs the blasphemy (and the blemish) is double due to the shape of the MB pickups that could be used as a perfect thumb rest

Brian D likes this.
  2. Canadian APII

Canadian APII Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Ottawa Ontario
    I have a plan in my head for a clear thumb rest and possible ramp.

3. Jonnyfox

Jonnyfox

Apr 28, 2015
    Ireland
    Unfortunately the previous owner put the thumb rest on, it came as seen in the pics. I have a bit of cleaning up to do to it as the nut, frets and bridge have a bit of grime on them and are after turning green from being left sitting in the case in an attic for seven years, so the thumb rest will be coming off, fretboard also needs a clean.

4. Brian D

Brian D

Dec 2, 2004
    Dublin, Ireland
    A clear ramp that matches the pickup shape might be pretty cool.

5. Canadian APII

Feb 3, 2013
    Ottawa Ontario
    That' exactly what I was thinking. The kicker is finding appropriate clear double sided tape.

6. Canadian APII

Feb 3, 2013
    Ottawa Ontario
    There is Lee Valley Tools in Canada here that has plug cutters that can repair the hole. After that is some spot staining then clear. It' a good amount of work but the holes can be minimized.

Jonnyfox likes this.
  7. megarat

megarat (Not My Real Name) Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2013
    Squirt Island, USA
    I was recently taking some photos of my basses for insurance purposes, and given that my stable is relatively Aria-heavy, this thread come to mind. So I thought I would share some of the images, in case any of you find them interesting. I've demanded photos from others in the past, I guess it's only fair that I walk the walk.

First up is my '82 vintage SB-1000. There's nothing special about it, although it's reasonably well preserved. As sad as it is to admit, I keep this bass cased, because I find it too heavy/bulky to comfortably play.

1000_full.JPG

1000_body.JPG

1000_head_front.JPG

1000_head_back.JPG

Next up is my reissue SB-1000B (2011). I still can't believe my luck with this one, as it came to me in pristine condition, at a great bargain, and is everything I want out of an SB-1000. As I understand it, this particular bass was offered new at a shop that went out of business, whence it passed through the hands of a couple of curious but unimpressed Fender aficionados before finally crossing my path. This is my go-to SB-1000.

1000b_full.JPG

1000b_body.JPG

1000b_head_front.JPG

1000b_head_back.JPG

I've gushed about Aria's new SB-SW line in this thread previously, and some months ago I posted an image of one these basses that I imported from Japan. I've long aspired to have a "matching pair" of basses -- one fretted, one fretless -- with Alembic signature electronics, and I liked that first SB-SW so much that I decided to knuckle down and fulfill the dream, Arialembic-style.

So here is the first of these that I acquired last year: the SB-SW/CHC-STBK (2016) (Japanese curly horsehair chestnut, see-through black finish), with the original Bartolini electronics subbed out for an Alembic signature kit:

chc_full.JPG

chc_body.JPG

chc_head_front.JPG

chc_head_back.JPG

And here is its slightly younger sibling (having rolled off the assembly line only six basses earlier): the SB-SW/BP-N (burl poplar, natural finish). I picked it up a few months after receiving the first one. This bass has also been Alembeicized, and in addition it has received a fretectomy.

bp_full.JPG

bp_body.JPG

bp_head_front.JPG

bp_head_back.JPG

And thus concludes the photo tour of my Aria family. Although I did just pick up a novelty-rich ZZB from the classifieds recently, ostensibly for the irony and the grins, but it's surprisingly fun to play. (I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, given how much I love classic Arias.)

Last edited: May 2, 2018
    rustindeth, Alacajun, sears and 5 others like this.
  8. JÄGER

JÄGER

Jul 29, 2017
    Some very beautiful basses megarat

9. megarat

Nov 12, 2013
    Squirt Island, USA
    Thank you.

10. Prostheta

Prostheta

Mar 19, 2010
    Pori, Finland
    Wow, it's been a crazy month with SB-1000 preamps. Five sold, leaving me with one remaining. eBay fees are absolutely stupid these days....anybody else find that? I'm going to have to raise the price because I literally make a few Euros per unit now.

In other news, not happy with any of the onboard LED blinker solutions I've been experimenting with. The proximity to the audio circuit makes it very difficult to fully isolate, and clicks or digital noise (FAN5646 breather) end up on the audio in some respect. So disappoint.

11. zuma

zuma

Dec 21, 2006
    East Los Angeles
    Wow! I'd love to hear those Arialembics in action. Curious, are those "blackened" brass nuts on the pair or a different material altogether? Man, what beauties you got there.

12. megarat

Nov 12, 2013
    Squirt Island, USA
    Thanks much. If I ever put sound samples online, you'll be the first to know.

The nuts aren't brass, they're the Graphtech Trem-Nut (now called black TUSQ XL), stock from Aria. I think their goal with the SB-SW series is to take the SB line in a more contemporary direction, rather than to keep it traditional. Hence the Barts, etc.

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  13. Brian D

Brian D

Dec 2, 2004
    Dublin, Ireland
    Wow, i really love those new SBs... especially with the Alembic pickups!

@Prostheta have you checked out Reverb.com? a lot of the guitar stuff seems to have moved over there. The site is definitely easier to use than eBay.

14. megarat

Nov 12, 2013
    Squirt Island, USA
    I understand that their pricing model is more humane as well.

15. Prostheta

Prostheta

Mar 19, 2010
    Pori, Finland
    Hopefully so. The necessary costs of shipping and fees make preamps disproportionately more expensive than I am comfortable with. Thanks for the recommendation guys!

16. Bartelby

Bartelby

Mar 8, 2016
    That is a seriously nice looking bass!!

zuma likes this.
  17. megarat

Nov 12, 2013
    Squirt Island, USA
    Thank you, I was instantly taken with it myself. Importing it was an exercise in persistence, in that it took about six months to find someone who would ship it to me from Japan, given the new CITES restrictions. (There are strips of bubinga in the neck.)

zuma likes this.
  18. DanAdams

DanAdams Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2013
    Maine
    Hey Aria People! I'm a big Matsumoku fan, I've been deep into Westones and a lot of the weird tiny brands. I've never had an Aria and I'm only at all familiar with the SB series.
    This thing showed up in my local classifieds, cheap. Is it ok? It looks to me like it may be post Matsumoku and likely plywood. Any thoughts? Does that even say "Aria"? that's the best photo I have... Thanks
    Screen Shot 2018-05-05 at 9.22.15 AM.

Last edited: May 5, 2018
    sears likes this.
  19. Prostheta

Prostheta

Mar 19, 2010
    Pori, Finland
    Nope. Looks like it says, "Ayn". No idea.

DanAdams likes this.
  20. Brian D

Brian D

Dec 2, 2004
    Dublin, Ireland
    Looks like "Ayn" to me too. Never heard of that brand and google shows nothing either.

DanAdams likes this.