1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Aria & Aria Pro II Club (Part Four)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Deathblade Eric, Aug 23, 2013.

Tags:
  1. pskafidas

pskafidas

Oct 16, 2012
    Standard width nut is 45mm according to Aria specs..

2. Prostheta

Prostheta

Mar 19, 2010
    Pori, Finland
    Thanks. I figured that 46mm would be on the larger side of very very huge. My favourite 5-string bass is only 43mm! Whilst I appreciate the tonal value present in thicker vintage profiles, having these massive widths at the fretting end confuses me hugely. Am I just getting this wrong or is this your typical Japanese bassist?
    [​IMG]

CDoogz likes this.
  3. pskafidas

pskafidas

Oct 16, 2012
    I'm guessing that photo depicts the left hand accurately. It needs to wrap around a fat neck with a 45mm nut. The right hand isn't accurate though.... It needs to be tiny. Hence the 16mm string spacing :)

4. Prostheta

Prostheta

Mar 19, 2010
    Pori, Finland
    Well it should be obvious from the photo that the right hand is a fake, made so that his asymmetric left hand doesn't stick out so much.

5. zuma

zuma

Dec 21, 2006
    East Los Angeles
    I love how you guys are so hands-on with these things. :crying::D

6. Prostheta

Prostheta

Mar 19, 2010
    Pori, Finland
    [​IMG]

7. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    Remember the post in Part Three of this thread, where the question of the mystery 'John Taylor prea-amp' was raised? A forum member who had used one of JTs old basses mentioned that it had a special pre-amp installed and sounded unlike other (Aria SB1000?) basses that he'd heard.

Well, there was some speculation that this might be the bass that I picked up recently from Gerry Laffy (John's long time acquaintance and fellow band member for several years). I wrote to Gerry and asked him if this could be the bass in question, but he said that he didn't remember lending it 'out' to the TB forum member in question (alanbass1), although that member did use it when they played in a band together. It's all here ...

Link ...

I wrote to Alan at the time and asked him if he recognised the bass in my photos as the bass that he referred to before. Well, today I heard back from him and this is what he wrote ...

"Hi Andy

Well it looks like the one and the case is the same, sticker and all. Have a look at the electrics as the pre amp is custom made. I played with Gerry in the London Cowboys and we both played on the album On Stage."

:confused:

So, I don't know what to make of that. I'll be having the back cover off the SB1000 again in a day or so, when my new BB circuit turns up, courtesy of our own Prostheta :D, so perhaps I'll have a better look then (and post some proper photos ;)).

There's so much myth and mystery attached to these old Arias that it makes owning and collecting them all the more fun :p.

Andy

8. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    Hey Zuma! No teeny-weeny Aria bass photos :eyebrow:; no teeny-weeny Aria bass :scowl: - you know the rules :D!

Seriously though, I'm really happy that you got to add it to your collection and I know that you will continue to fuel SB GAS, worldwide, by adding more YouTube clips with it ;).

Congrats!

Andy

9. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    Aria SB1000 (1981) - 45mm
    Aria SB600 (1982) - 45mm
    Aria SB Elite II (1983) - 40mm
    Aria SB CB (2012) - 40mm

Hope this is relevant to the earlier discussion (but I doubt it) ;).

10. Prostheta

Prostheta

Mar 19, 2010
    Pori, Finland
    It rings true. The potential mystery is in the later Black n' Gold's nut widths.

11. ModuMan

ModuMan How many is too many? Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Bristol, CT #19
    I would just like to add "AH-HA!" If this pans out, I would be quite interested.

12. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    Thank you Doctor! It's good to know that my nuts are not abnormal sizes :hyper:.

I think that I can finally leave the 'nuts' jokes alone now and move on :D. (Tiny things please tiny minds).

13. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    Indeed! I'll be 'Ah-haa-ing' along with you if there's anything non-standard about my basses preamp, MM ;).

I can't help wondering if Alan was referring to the little PCB wrapped in black insulation, which (AFAIK) is just there to control the blinking LED :meh:!?

As I said, I'll post some proper pics later this week and ask the resident experts to chime in with their views.

14. pskafidas

pskafidas

Oct 16, 2012
    Pulled the trigger on this SB-R60 last night. It'll be a couple of weeks before it comes home:) There's another sunburst one listed which I would of preferred but it looked knocked about a bit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now looking for a SB-R80.

Interested to see Alan's control cavity (not a reference to nut jokes...)

stuntbass77 likes this.
  15. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    :eek: Whoa! Another great score there, pskafidas! Where do you find these basses :eyebrow:!?

:ninja: Alan? Who's Alan?

Well, it makes a change from being called 'Alex', I suppose :p - right Carl ;)?

I promise that I shall expose my cavity to public scrutiny in the next few days, as soon as we get some daylight and get some time off work :D.

All the best,

Andy (An-dee)

16. pskafidas

pskafidas

Oct 16, 2012
    Sorry Andy...

I have my sources for Arias. Hint hint. I only paid 34900 Yen for this one and it looks mint. I live in Australia but source all my basses internationally....

17. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    :D No worries, mate!

Ah, so you're in Australia!? That explains it.

You Aussie (residents) deserve a break though, as most American and European basses work out to be really expensive over there (or so I always seem to read in various posts on this forum).

Anyway, you have a magnificent collection, of which I am just a little envious ;).

18. ModuMan

ModuMan How many is too many? Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Bristol, CT #19
    That's the rough equivalent of $360 US which is just a silly price for that condition. Have you thought about becoming an export service? :)

19. pskafidas

pskafidas

Oct 16, 2012
    Hey ModuMan, it's not worth it for you guys to ship to Australia and then on to the US. It costs around $160 to ship from Japan using EMS. I'm not doing anything unique. You guys have access to the same services I use. I've been forced to discover ways to get access to these markets. As Andy mentioned the Aussie consumer gets raped because our market is so small (25 million population). And there's hardly any Arias here:eyebrow:

I'm hesitant to reveal how I get a hold onto these basses because I don't want to get into bidding wars. You can't snipe with Japanese auctions. I've been very fortunate so far. The only bidding war I had was for the black sb1000. I got that one for 112000 Yen. On the other hand I got the Oak batwing SB1000 for only 35000 yen because the rotary switch was screwed. A simple fix...

That's the advantage of buying from Japan. The Japanese people are amazing. They declare every little issue with the instrument. They are very honorable...

20. pskafidas

pskafidas

Oct 16, 2012
    here's a good source of Arias in Japan that ships internationally. It's a physical store so probably a bit safer than auction sites.

http://www.tcgakki.com/search/?cp=4&kw=Aria+Pro+II&sk=&pg=1

They've got plenty of 700s on sale. I'm tempted to buy the SB-R80 but it's in Padouk red. Not sure I want another Padouk red SB.