1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Aria & Aria Pro II Club (Part Four)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Deathblade Eric, Aug 23, 2013.

Tags:
  1. zuma

zuma

Dec 21, 2006
    East Los Angeles
    Thank YOU for all of your work Carl. You're the Rautia of hardware and preamps (so far!). I'm getting close on the knob repros myself. I will try to post a pic this weekend.

If we can't get past the patents (however unlikely) then I guess it's choice two or three by default! I'm not sure I'm sold on gold plating the brass. In one sense it would be nice and pretty but the OCD kind of kicks in when you compare that to, let's say, the existing brass nut. Can you coat bare brass with some sort of satin clear?

Also, still wondering if the standard Hipshot saddles are available in brass.

It's time for bed but I will return soon!

2. Prostheta

Prostheta

Mar 19, 2010
    Pori, Finland
    I genuinely don't believe that there are any patents standing on the bridge design. It just doesn't possess anything unique about it that hasn't been used in some form by other manufacturers in the last four decades. I have to consider these angles of course.

Brass can be lacquered, yes. It can also be shot with shellac however I guess a proper brass lacquer will be harder-wearing. Unless it too is shellac....!

3. Winston TK

Winston TK Hairpiece Adventurer

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada

Wow, I had absolutely no idea that the TSB-550 came in the Black 'n' Gold version. CURSES!!! Now I'll have to keep an eye open for one of those, too. (The TSB-550, or even the TSB-350, are next on my list of must have Aria's.)

Great collection, by the way.

4. Twocan

Twocan Living the Dream Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2009
    Medway, MA
  5. My pride and joy SB-1000 came with a Roadrunner gig bag that is already starting to fall apart. I'm not too fond of gig bags and have been looking for a case. Nothing I've found at my local GC, Sam Ash or mom and pops have fit the bass well and for $150++ it wasn't worth it for an ill fitting case that might do more damage than the gig bag.

I walked into a pawn shop yesterday and saw this gigantic mint condition coffin case. This is a case for Flying V or Dean Dimebag shaped things. But, for $25 I'd take on this project.

The aria looks like a ukulele in this thing so I went to the fabric store which was having a 50% off sale on high density foam. I bought a square yard for $9.00, traced the bass and trimmed some edges and voila! The foam cradles the bass well and the headstock will not touch the end either. All in all for less than $30 this case will be gig worthy, if not a little creepy and ridiculously huge....this case is 5'5" tall!!

25im1l0.

mat666 likes this.
  6. zuma

zuma

Dec 21, 2006
    East Los Angeles
    Now you have the Aria SB-1000 DRAKUL Edition. ;)

7. pskafidas

pskafidas

Oct 16, 2012
    Hi Twocan,

The SB in the link you provided is for a Korean made SB re-issue. From what I've heard they come with a cheapish peavey pickup and the fit and finnish is not on par with the MIJ re-issues. Be patient and track down an original 80s SB. Even the MIJ re-issues don't have the original neck profile/string spacing.

Peter.

8. Twocan

Twocan Living the Dream Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2009
    Medway, MA
    Thanks for the heads up. How does the two PU sb900 compare to the 1000? Can you get the same tone?

9. pskafidas

pskafidas

Oct 16, 2012
    The 1000 is a bit more versatile since it has the varitone switch. It technically should sound a little different to the 900 due to the pickup position, and because the pickup is constructed a little differently (MB1E vs MBII), and because it's active. But in the end of the day they both sound like an Aria. The sound is unmistakable.

10. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    :) That's a great score for $500 (IMHO).

I have the all-black version (the SB CB), except that mine is made from a 3-piece centre section and different inlays.

Personally, I rate the build quality and playability of my Korean Aria as being as good as anything I've ever had and if you avoid making direct comparisons with the old Matsumoko era Arias, these are pretty fine instruments in their own right (MHO, again ;)).

Enjoy it and thanks for posting the piccy :bassist:!

11. Prostheta

Prostheta

Mar 19, 2010
    Pori, Finland
    Shield your eyes, but I found this (major) fixer-upper in Germany. Ridiculous asking price though. Interestingly, have a look at the rear string retention method. Pete - you will be interested to see this also.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=171121160607

I would buy this for €100-150 shipped purely on the presence of the pickups and bridge. It would need a full stripping and rebuild, but that isn't anything I am unfamiliar with. Structurally it looks sound in the correct places....as much as that one photo can divulge anyway....

12. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

This is the only Aria violin bass I have seen. It popped up on ebay about 7 years ago. I would love to try one out!

aria-viola-1.

13. Prostheta

Prostheta

Mar 19, 2010
    Pori, Finland
    Oh wow, scroll headstock too! Nice spot.

14. cchorney

cchorney Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Meriden, CT
    And now you have seen two!
    0309092250+%25282%2529.

15. Dear all,
    I do not know if this is the right place to post this question.
    I have trouble with labella 760FS length on my 1982 SB1000

I have restrung my bass in BEAD instead of EADG
    I recently bought LaBella 760FS-B deep talking flats.
    However, the low B string (gauge .128 also sold alone under ref 765FS) is too long on the nut side.
    More specifically, the portion of non-wound core is too long and extends over the bridge into the playing length:
    (here on left both .128B's, the first one modified and 'frayed", the new one placed besides)
    [​IMG]

I stupidly decided to modify the nut-end of the string, and despite being carefull I screwed up the string and it now feels wrong in many respects.
    (photos and details upon request)

Is anyone using the same strings (in low B that is!) on a SB1000?
    If yes, how do you fare ?
    Should I :
    - install the new 128B as shipped and have a skinny portion vibrating on the bridge end,
    - do a different modif to the string (nut side),
    - or (God forbid!!!) drill a hole in the SB1000 to insert the string from the back, (I.e. lengthen the string path before the bridge)

What would you advise ?
    Thanks for your kind help,
    Orphée, Grenoble, France

16. tomydacat

tomydacat Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2009
    RVA
    new here just picked up a 84 BnG. getting it set up and new strings cant wait to play it.. BIG fan of Cliff's and could not afford the re issue and this showed up at Sam Ash and I pounced on it. what is the history of these? how many did they make and how many years did they make them? Thanks for any info:bassist:

Attached Files:

• BnG.
      BnG.jpg
      File size:
      105.2 KB
      Views:
  17. Prostheta

Prostheta

Mar 19, 2010
    Pori, Finland
    It's an ongoing debate. It is possible that the BnGs went through a change "under the bonnet" at some point. Your appears to be one of the later ones being an '84. Any chance you could comment on the width of the nut? Also, if you shine a strong light on the body, can you see the neck laminations through the finish? It is thought that some are out there with the 7-piece laminated necks whilst the later ones with plain three-piece with no Mahogany/Walnut laminations.

Looks in good shape. Has it been looked after?

18. tomydacat

Jul 14, 2009
    RVA
    It does have a chip of the clear off of on it. When I get it back from the shop setting it up I will look and see about the neck in the sunlight too. The upper neck felt very Jazz size to me but I will measure it and get back here when I do. everything seems to be original. metal knobs very little fret ware. just a few dings here and there. got it for $410:bassist:

Attached Files:

19. tomydacat

Jul 14, 2009
    RVA
    It did not come with a case so I will have to find on of those for sure. sounds amazing kind of like a warmer MM sound .

20. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    I'm not sure what those usually sell for in the US, but I have a feeling that, at that price, a good number of people here are going to hate you :D.

;) Congrats on, what appears to be, a great score!