Aria & Aria Pro II Club (Part Four)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Deathblade Eric, Aug 23, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Prostheta

Prostheta

Mar 19, 2010
    Pori, Finland
    It is a good price. Not quite a steal but definitely on the better side!

2. Prostheta

Prostheta

Mar 19, 2010
    Pori, Finland
    The pickup is an MB-II. That is essentially a P-bass style sensing pattern so should sound warmer. Not sure about the MM sound, but I think I know what you mean.

3. tomydacat

tomydacat Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2009
    RVA
    well i mean by MM is that it has that music man punch just seems punchier not as trebbly.. if that makes since.. I like also that the serial number is close to cliffs. is there a case aftermarket that fits it or which case would be best? Definitely going to keep this in a case.

4. tomydacat

Jul 14, 2009
    RVA
    it doesnt sound as muddy as a P bass this has more DEfinition in the tone which I LOVE and it is warm I can tell it will be fun to play.

5. Prostheta

Prostheta

Mar 19, 2010
    Pori, Finland
    That might be due to the odd way that the pickup is constructed internally. From what I have been told this would result in a brighter pickup. Whatever makes them what they are is irrelevant I guess. They're pretty damn great pickups!

6. tomydacat

Jul 14, 2009
    RVA
    TOTALLY AGREE there.. and IM digging the BLACK AND GOLD ... im glad i could get one and of the same era as Cliff had one.

7. DrXakan

DrXakan

Sep 9, 2013
    Hi folks,

What do you make of this serial number? Starting with "IC", it does not follow the pattern expected on a vintage MIJ Aria Pro II ...

APIIserial.

8. ModuMan

ModuMan How many is too many? Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Bristol, CT #19
    Sure that isn't a 10? It's a 6-digit serial, just like my 1981 SB, which starts with 10. Could just be the printing or a smudge.

9. DrXakan

DrXakan

Sep 9, 2013
    Yeah, I'll have to have a closer look for traces of missing parts in the first two digits. The bass is not in my possession yet.

10. ModuMan

ModuMan How many is too many? Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Bristol, CT #19
    Exciting! What did you get?

11. DrXakan

DrXakan

Sep 9, 2013
    I'll check as soon as I got it in my hands

12. tomydacat

Jul 14, 2009
    RVA
    Cant wait to see.. HOws the Aria lovers today?

13. Has anyone seen those new SB1000's....ST series I think they're called?

14. tomydacat

Jul 14, 2009
    RVA
    I have not but I am new here.

15. Prostheta

Prostheta

Mar 19, 2010
    Pori, Finland
    I might have seen them, but I doubt they stack up against the originals. It is very likely that the pickups have been completely re-engineered too, since maintaining the original weird bobbins is not cost-effective. Hell, we don't see it so why should we care? *sarcasm*

16. zuma

zuma

Dec 21, 2006
    East Los Angeles

In my unscientific opinion I say leave the string alone and use the string "as-is" with the "exposed" skinny end over the saddle. Obviously you will need to raise that saddle up to compensate for the height. I used GHS Progressives for a while and they are completely exposed at the end. I know there are Rotosounds like that as well. I don't see that affecting your tone much. Most of my playing on the B string is a light touch in the middle or near the neck. I don't dig in for that "Jaco" tone on the B string much.

17. Basstovsky

Basstovsky The guy with the dumb username...

Feb 29, 2008
    Massachusetts
    In my experience (not with Arias, but I've had this on other basses) it is only a problem if the skinny end is over a pickup (it gets weird overtones that way) as long as the fat part of the string is over the pickup it will play and sound fine, you just have to adjust the height and intonation to fit with the skinny part being on the saddle.

18. tomydacat

Jul 14, 2009
    RVA
    I AM ITCHING TO PLAY MY ARIA!!!!!

19. tomydacat

Jul 14, 2009
    RVA
    Going to pic k it up soon will get picks up this weekend

20. Prostheta

Prostheta

Mar 19, 2010
    Pori, Finland
    Seems like the bridge proposition has gone somewhat cold. I perceived that it might be like gathering cats in a bag....I know that the numbers are out there but getting everybody in on this at one time is a task of monumental difficulty! The minimum number that might be tenable would be maybe 40, 30 at the very least. We have about twelve-fifteen so far? I don't know whether we need to put feelers out to bring numbers in or call this a day for the moment.