1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Aria & Aria Pro II Club (Part Four)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Deathblade Eric, Aug 23, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Basstovsky

Basstovsky The guy with the dumb username...

Feb 29, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Anyone know if this is a stock finish or a refin? I've not seen anything in the literature with solid colors on a TSB.

I love the TSB-550 and really want to get one of my own and stick a varitone in it to make it a poor-man's SB-1000, but this one is on sale for SB-1000 money right now! Too rich for me, but still beautiful.

[​IMG]

Nunovsky likes this.
  2. ModuMan

ModuMan How many is too many? Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Bristol, CT #19
    I really think you should start a separate thread to keep the discussion focused as well as draw in people who don't regularly read this thread. I think you'll get the numbers.

3. skryptus

skryptus

Sep 14, 2013
    So, I'm very new around here, and haven't yet read much about the Aria Pro II basses, so I'm sorry if the answer to my question is already answered in the many pages of this 4-part thread :)

I'm thinking of finally taking the plunge of buying myself a bass (along with Rocksmith, which might be a nice way to get a headstart in bass, along with a push on my nigh-stale guitar stills). Since I merely want to dabble around the house, and maybe make a demo or two, my budget is somewhat low. The low-budget Squier and the like would be my first stop, but I've come across a second-hand Aria Pro II which got me interested, which is why I'm here today.

This is the bass in question:
    [​IMG]

The thing is I haven't been able to find much information on it. I asked the seller, but all he told me was it was an Avante series (I didn't push since I wasn't sure if I'd be allowed to buy it at the momento - I've since talked to the missus, who said she wouldn't be mad if I wasn't mad at one of her recent orders :rolleyes:). I asked around Google and found it might be a part of the AVB range, but haven't been able to find a model.
    The seller is asking for 220 euros (negotiable), and I'd like to know the bass' value so I could negotiate :)

Could you guys lend a hand?

4. Prostheta

Prostheta

Mar 19, 2010
    Pori, Finland
    220€ isn't bad, but I would negotiate it down to at least 200€ just on principle. If negotiations are open, why agree on the point you started at?

In general, most APII basses after the 1987 point (when Matsumoku production in Japan ended) are so-so to good. If this one plays well and is in good condition then the asking price is worth it. If the bass plays solidly and feels lively but stock pickups don't set your world on fire you could always swap them out for something more characterful. It looks like a nice instrument.

5. skryptus

skryptus

Sep 14, 2013
    Thanks. Yeah, I was planning on asking for 200€, or maybe a bit lower if there are some blemishes or marks, or if I'm not entirely happy with the sound (I plan on taking a Korg Pandora P4XD with me to check out the sound.. not the best way to find if the sound is good, but at least I can find out if there's something wrong with the electronics).

By the way, the serial number is S4063477. I couldn't do much with it, but maybe some of you might have some use for it.

6. tomydacat

tomydacat Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2009
    RVA
    Well after picking up the BlacknGold yesterday I can not tell if it is the 3 piece neck or not. I will have to keep trying to see. also it does have the greenish black paint on it. will post pictures later ..

7. savageone8

savageone8

Apr 8, 2012
  8. pskafidas

pskafidas

Oct 16, 2012
    Hi tomydacat, can you do us a big favour and measure the nut width? I'm guessing your BnG is probably a 3 ply neck. The neck construction on both of mine is pretty easy to see. Maybe not having the alternating maple/walnut woods might make it harder to spot???? Lay the bass down flat and look at it at an angle. You should be able to see the neck laminations and even the grain pattern on the body.

9. pskafidas

pskafidas

Oct 16, 2012
    Don't know why but I bought this one last week. Paid around $580 USD for it. When I see the ridiculous prices on Ebay for those SB1000CBs ($2000-$3000) I can't help myself but buy whatever appears before me.

[​IMG]

Moduman gave me an idea to convert it into a JT model so I ordered a black j510 Gotoh bridge and Black Gotoh tuners. I now notice on John Taylor's instagram account that he's currently using a stock oak SB1000 re-issue in the studio. I might keep it as is :D

10. ModuMan

ModuMan How many is too many? Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Bristol, CT #19
    I guess you could always change the hardware back and forth! :p

Great score, congratulations!

11. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    I sound like a stuck record :p, but that's another bargain, in my view. Well done!

It appears to be a Japanese made instrument ... for Korean bass money ;).

In fairness though, although you do see a lot of eBay listings for SB1000s priced at $2-3,000, I don't think that many (if any :meh:) of them really sell for that sort of money. Since I started collecting Arias (just this year), I have seen a lot of the same instruments being put up for sale time and time again with no response.

Actually, I think that the prices that most people here are paying for their used basses is best compared to what you would get from, say, Fender for the same money. When you put it in that context, we're all getting a lot of bang for our buck :D.

Again, great bass, well done pskafidas.

12. tomydacat

Jul 14, 2009
    RVA
    ok nut is 40 mm and after looking at it in the morning light it looks like it very well could be a 5 piece or 7 piece as it looks like it has two very thin strips between the maple 3 piece and two larger strips on the sides. is that possible ? :bassist:

13. tomydacat

Jul 14, 2009
    RVA
    I could take the bridge out and see if it is painted in side there to verify

14. tomydacat

Jul 14, 2009
    RVA
    I think if I am looking at it right that it looks more like this underneath the black.. not that this is my bass but this is what i see through:bassist: the blackness

Attached Files:

15. tomydacat

Jul 14, 2009
    RVA
    meaning i see what looks like the skinny pieces of walnut.

16. tomydacat

Jul 14, 2009
    RVA
    not sure if they did that to the black n golds..

17. tomydacat

Jul 14, 2009
    RVA
    and boy does this thing feel GOOD in the hands all the way down the neck. I can see why Cliff loved the bass great feel and tone

18. tomydacat

Jul 14, 2009
    RVA
    What year is your Black n Gold?

19. pskafidas

pskafidas

Oct 16, 2012
    My BnG I and BnG II are both from 82. They have a 43mm nut. They're basically limited edition SB-Rs. If your one is from late 84 or later I'm thinking it might be based on the SB Elites. Hence the 40mm nut. From what you can see does it look anything like this:

[​IMG]

Or does it look like it's three even sized strips of wood?

What colour is the control cavity cover on the back?

Thanks...