1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Aria & Aria Pro II Club (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ryan L., Aug 3, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MOTORHEADBANGER

MOTORHEADBANGER Spud-boy looking for a real tomato

Dec 23, 2008
    Sidney, Indiana
    That's what I was thinking, but I'll leave it stock for the time being. The rosewood TRC is a little odd though and a nice gold cover would look much better.

2. Prostheta

Prostheta

Mar 19, 2010
    Pori, Finland
    The dude at fretsonthenet will happily run you up one in brass with optional engraving, however you will need to lacquer it ;-)

Plenty of time to get familiar with your new girl first.

3. MOTORHEADBANGER

Dec 23, 2008
    Sidney, Indiana
    Yeah. I'm still getting acquainted. I love the neck profile, but my hand tends to stick a little to the gloss after a set (I jammed with a couple guys last night in a building with no AC and I started to stick a bit to the neck. The stock strings (D'addario's?) are a bit too tight for me and seem to be a little dead (maybe due to being in a box in who knows what kind of temp/humidity changes over the past 2 weeks). I'll slap some Circle K balanced tension strings on it this week and it should be much better. Neck was straight as an arrow though. The only defect I have found is an almost microscopic fish eye in the paint on the headstock and top left tuner is slightly higher (were talking minuscule amounts) than the right. I don't even think I would have ever noticed if I didn't inspect the whole thing over about 8 or 10 times.

The tone is great though. I played through an old Fender Twin and with the Selector switch pointing toward the neck of the bass (the 6th setting) I could nail that Ride the Lightning tone when the amp hit a little bit of overdrive.

4. Prostheta

Prostheta

Mar 19, 2010
    Pori, Finland
    Shame this would show up so easily on the gloss, but you should probably Scotchbrite the neck if it is sticky. Shame, because gloss is awesome when it is crystal clear. This sounds it....any chance of some photos in daylight? :-D

5. MOTORHEADBANGER

Dec 23, 2008
    Sidney, Indiana
    I love the look, but I can get real finicky about finish on the neck, if I do scotchbrite it, I'll use the grey ones so I could shine it back up if need be. Honestly I think a black satin would look cool on just the neck, the rest of the body is still awesomely shiny. It's really hard to get good daylight photo's due to how reflective the gloss is. It really is cool on stage and to look at but photos can suck, here's a few though
    SAM_6818.
    SAM_6832.
    SAM_6825.
    SAM_6830.
    SAM_6839.
    SAM_6841.
    SAM_6853.

6. Prostheta

Prostheta

Mar 19, 2010
    Pori, Finland
    The tuner issue is solvable but it shouldn't happen in the first place.

7. zuma

zuma

Dec 21, 2006
    East Los Angeles
    MOTOR! Did you know there was an Ewok in your house? I hear they like shiny things. You better be careful.

8. MOTORHEADBANGER

Dec 23, 2008
    Sidney, Indiana
    Yep, we bought him about 5 years ago. He actually had slightly longer hair back in the winter and my parents considered renaming him Chewie. (Living at home during College)

9. amir93smith

amir93smith

Apr 17, 2012
    London
    Yay i finally got an aria 5 string (STB GT5) =D and changed out the pick up and electronics for seymour duncan MM SMB-5D and my own bass & treble cut circuit with parallel/series switch, cause i dont like active (hate the thought of having to rely on a battery). Will post pics once the DR strings come

10. doc540

doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
  11. Prostheta

Prostheta

Mar 19, 2010
    Pori, Finland
    No no, you're right. This is the pr0n thread.

12. Basstovsky

Basstovsky The guy with the dumb username...

Feb 29, 2008
    Massachusetts
    niiiiiiice TSB. Always wanted the single-pickup model but my CSB does the job for now

Speaking of CSB's I was browsing arias on e-bay and found this (as far as I know) extremely rare beast, arch-top cherryburst CSB-450!
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aria-Pro-II...0-/120947653935?pt=Guitar&hash=item1c290abd2f

I have no affiliation to this sale, I just believe a true fan of Arias should be aware of this thing, it looks awesome! I thought about it but I already
    own a red CSB-380 so I can't justify the purchase...

13. It's now mine! I've been watching for one of these (second choice) or a TSB something- the one with two pups. I've got a thing for medium scale basses and recently stumbled on the Matsumoto (?) page and have been gathering info about Arias. Hopefully I didn't pay too much.

I should have it in a week. Hopefully it arrives in the condition the pictures showed. It seems to be in nearly-new condition, or at least great shape for a thirty year-old basss.After it arrives, can I be a club member? Is this a club? :D

14. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.