Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aria AS-690B Sinsonido Vs Ashbory

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, Oct 18, 2004.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Now i've always had a love for the ashbory due to its small size and massive sound btu there hard to find nowadays and practicing on one is a bit of a waste of time as there so different from a standard 34" and the other day I heard this aria (fretted) and the tone struck me (even though the guy was playing punk lines with a pick) as being quite uprighty, and I thought what a great idea for another small practice bass.

I was just wondering if any body has a Aria AS-690B Sinsonido fretted or fretless, do you think with a set of flats you would get a good upright tone (well as good as what the ashbory does).

Also I think I saw a 3.5mm jack on it does that mean you can plug headphones in?

I also didn't notice any any bridge saddles do any of you guys have problems with intonation.

Thanks guys

2. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Kinda of a bump/up-date

I managed to try one of these yesterday, I have to say I was very very impressed. Theres so ugly with all the foam and metal on and it gets in the way when playing higher up but apart from that it was a very nice bass with a very very deep tone. I don't think it's really that close to an ashbory in terms of uprightish-ness but then I tried the fretted one with rounds on.

So my questions change to anyone whos got one have you had any problems with them?

Are the fretlesses lined?

and finally just your general opinions

Thanks guys

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I had one for a short while, but sold it to Nick Gann when I found I wasn't going to be traveling for business. (Of course, now I'm traveling again.)

I was impressed with it. You may want to PM Nick to get comments from him - he's had it since last year.

4. I bought a fretless one about 4 months ago. Since it's my first fretless, I've only been playing it at home/practice until I get my intonation right....only my beat up '63 P-bass goes out on gigs now.

I really like it; it's nice for playing jazz, which I'm starting to do. Funny thing about it is that it gives a nice "uprightish" sound unplugged, with lots of "mwaah" and then when plugged in, it sounds more like an electric (is that surprising?) even though it's got an acoustic pickup. You can still make it sound like an acoustic though by playing around with the EQ (I've got and Eden head with EA cabs).

The fretless is lined (otherwise, I'd be lost for now). I don't even bother with the plug in steel/foam things...it's too much of a hassle. That said, if you want to play it without the steel supports, you need to play it with a strap. Then it feels not much different than any other bass then (at least with fingerstyle and thumb playing).

It does come with headphones. I've had a lot of comments about how nice it looks (the mahogony is finished very nicely).

Any more questions, I'd be glad to answer.

Harlan

5. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Not sure of the exact model number, but I assume you're talking about the "travel bass" Aria Sinsonido, i.e. the design that Aria licensed from Soloette. I have a fretted Sinsonido (thanks Jason!) and love this bass!

Very cool to go into the woods, or up on a hill overlooking the ocean, to practice ... the Sinsonido makes this easy. 2 weeks ago I missed a flight and had to wait an extra 2.5 hours in the airport till the next one ... no problem. Took out the Sinsonido and a pair of headphones, and practiced for a couple hours. Very cool, especially as I carry a couple Radio Shack adapters + cables that allow me to listen to both the Sinsonido and a portable MP3 or CD player thru headphones at the same time.

I've used it on smaller gigs, and it actually sounds good. For an upright sound, try sticking some foam under the strings at the bridge and rolling off the treble. Works for me. No intonation problems so far.

6. Just to let you know, the Ashbory is still easy to get. It was taken from the DeArmond catalog and moved into the Fender catalog (strangely, in the strings and accessories section...). The new ones have "Ashbory" writen in a nice script on the front, and Fender on the back of the headstock. MF has all three colors in stock.

My wife bought one for me about a month ago, a nice little surprise. It takes a few minutes to adjust to the scale, but it isn't too hard. They should have made it unlined, I don't care one way or the other WRT fretlines but these are purely decorative and have nothing to do with the intonation points (some of the higher ones are close, but...). I've already fooled a few people who heard it before they saw it... If you get one, do yourself a favor and drop by a billiards shop and grab one of the dry lube (talc replacement) bags. That eliminates the problem of fingers sticking to silicon strings. Baby powder would probably work too, if you don't mind the smell. I've had fun with mine. The new ones are definately better than the originals, better tuning keys, better finish and the pickup is a bit better too.