Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aria Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Personator, Apr 21, 2002.

1. Personator

Personator Guest

Mar 18, 2002
    Flemington NJ
  2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Well, if it's any help, Cliff Burton used one.....of course, he modded the electronics alot, but the basics were still there. I love the way they sound and play (this coming from only playing one for 2 hours, take into hand). Well balanced, nice necks (fast and easy to play), good frets (the one I played was 11 years old and the frets look great!), the electronics are simply easy to use and can do alot to the sound (for better or for worse :rolleyes: ). I really liked the one I played on. The one I played was a Aria Pro II also, but I have no idea what he means by Thor Sound :confused: . Hope this helped......

3. Winston TK

Winston TK Hairpiece Adventurer

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    That pretty much says it all.

The TSB400 is an EXCELLENT bass guitar. Extremely well made, great features, fantastic tone. You absolutely cannot go wrong with this bass. And that particular one is going very cheap on eBay right now. People just don't know good quality.

I've posted extensively on this bass message board dealing with this very model, and I am a very strong advocate for the Thor Sound 450.

I've played/owned many basses in the past 21 years (Ric 4001, Ric 4003, MusicMan Stingray, Dean 8-string, etc.), and this one remains one of my very favourite. Ultra-reliable for sessions, and an absolute dream to play in every other situation.

Best of luck. I hope you get it!

--Winston TK

4. Personator

Personator Guest

Mar 18, 2002
    Flemington NJ
    Okay ill bid on it then. Thanks a lot for the help

5. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Good luck my friend. Alot of times for eBay you need it. Hope it turns out good for ya!

6. Winston TK

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you, Personator!

--Winston TK

7. Winston TK

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    Just so you know, this is a medium scale instrument (32-inch). For this reason, it is extremely playable. The neck is quite thin also, not overly narrow, but thin. This is one of the fastest necks I've ever played. I'm not sure what basses you've experienced, but it is a pretty good bet that you'll find the TSB400 a very comfortable ride.

And, the stock Aria Pro II pickups from this era produce great tone.

8. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I own one of these Thor Sound basses. Aria has made some cheap, budget instruments... this is not one of them. This a very nice instrument, it had to be their "top of the line".
    As Winston TK has said... "Extremely well made, great features, fantastic tone". I agree with this completely. Out of the 19 basses that I own, the TSB is the most comfortable, easiest to play, fastest neck of the bunch. It is a quality, pro-level instrument.
    Mine is the TSB 550 and is a neck-thu, the one on ebay has a neck plate, so it may be a bolt-on. Good luck with the auction.

9. Personator

Personator Guest

Mar 18, 2002
    Flemington NJ
    I'm presently playing a 5-string fender MIM deluxe Jazz. It sounds great, but the body balance get get annoying and the 9-volt that powers the electonics doesn't last long enought for me to depend on it for gigs. Ill probably keep it for recording. Thanks for the support guys, i hop i get it!

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

It must be defective! I have several active basses, and the batteries in them last several months, unless I forget and leave them plugged in for a couple of days.

11. Personator

Personator Guest

Mar 18, 2002
    Flemington NJ
    Think so? what could be wrong? its really bothering me. After about4 hours of playing i hear the mids gtting really high, and then it dies after another hour. How would one fix this?

12. Winston TK

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    Hey, Personator.

I forgot to check when that auction actually ended. Are you now the proud owner of an Aria Pro II TSB400?

The suspense is killing me.

If you are the winner, please post a review when you get it.

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I am not sure how you would fix it. You could have a bad preamp, or there may be a short circuit somewhere. If the bass is still under warranty, I would make Fender fix it.

If it is not, take it to a tech, and get an estimate on getting it fixed. If they can't find the problem, it might be time to upgrade to a Bartolini or EMG preamp.:cool: