Aria basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassPlayerGush, Sep 22, 2002.

1. BassPlayerGush

Sep 23, 2001
    did anyone ever hear or know anything about Aria bass guitars????
  2. Yeah, John Taylor from Duran-Duran used to play one, and a lot of working/touring players had 'em. Billy Gould of Faith No More played 'em for a while. Good basses if you get a higher-end one. I have a student model I got for $125; I put a MIJ Fender pickup in it, and use it for C# stuff in my Sabbath tribute band.

They have nice balance, and are generally pretty well made. I think I prefer the older model, the one with laminations running through the body- it's a neck-thu. That's the one John Taylor played- an 80's model.

3. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Steve Bailey plays them. That's about the extent of my knowledge.

brad cook
  4. Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    Also the late and the great Cliff Burton of Metallica played an Aria Pro single pickup model and I thought it always sounded great, I once owned a double pickup Aris Pro and I hated it.....I also hate Rickenbacker.....I guess I and Cliff Burton don't have the same taste;)
  5. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I bought a second hand Aria Pro II fretless about a month ago, I like it, but I'm not an expert on kinds of basses, this is only the second bass I've ever had.

Actually, while someone's started a thread on Aria basses, I wonder if anyone could help me identify mine! It has no model number on it that I can find, all I can see is the serial number (it starts S98 if that's any help), I think it's about 3yrs old and I've not been able to find out from Aria what it is yet. It looks a lot like the IGB-40 and IGB-50 from the Aria site - - except without frets, obviously (it doesn't have the dots on the face of the fretboard either). However, the finish is not like any of the ones listed on the site for those 2 models - it simply has a wood finish (possibly mahogany, I'm not sure). It also has black plastic tone knobs, unlike the metal ones on the pictures on the site. Anyone have any ideas at all?

EDIT: In case you didn't assume this anyway, it's a 4-string
  6. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Methinks I'll put this in a new thread...