Aria IGB40 or Fernandes Tremor 4X?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Basroil, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Basroil

May 25, 2005
    Lake Forest, CA
    I am trying to decide between the basses, and Ive heard good things about both of them. Im leaning toward the Fernandes, because of the humbucker, but I would would appreciate the opinion of some other bassists. I dont do gigs very often, but I jam with my band whenever I can, which is alot. I play through a SWR LA15, and my beand plays thrash-metal and Metallica stuff.
  2. pooch0072

Sep 27, 2005
    I own a (stock) Tremor 4x, but I have never played the Aria.
    First off, for the price, you get a lot. Mine has the oceanburst fotoquilt finish, which I like. Alder body, original shape. The neck has quite a bit of taper to it, but it's relatively fast and the maple even has a bit of figuring. The fretboard on mine is a beautiful, colourful piece of rosewood. Action-wise, it's quite hard to get a very low action without buzz (so this isn't necessarily the best bass for tapping), but that's pretty much normal for a bass in that price range. the tone of the MM humbucker is good, thought very different from the musicman itself. Very mid-rangey punchy sound. Now to look at the electronics. They aren't really the strong point of the bass. Passive, 1 volume, 1 tone, no shielding whatsoever and bad grounding (makes this a bass with quite a lot of hum), but it's nothing you can't fix yourself. the other weak point of the bass is the fender-ish "foil" bridge. This ( as well as the placement of the pickup which is closer to the neck than the usual MM sweet spot)contributes to a thin tone when playing close to the bridge. The good part of this bass is also that the pickups, the electronics and the bridge are all upgradeable (which you should look for in a beginner-intermediate bass). You also musn,t forget that the scale is 35" compared to the standard 34" Fender. You'll have more string tension and also a tighter tone on the low notes. For the price, you get great wood, and a great tone. Great bass!
  3. Basroil

May 25, 2005
    Lake Forest, CA
    Thanks for the feedback! :) It sounds good, espicially for 240$, as you said. I dont like to play to close to the bridge, so that shouldnt be a problem. Im used to hum to, so that should be fine, and I dont care all that much about the electronics, Im usually close to my amp, so I can change the tone with ease. Oh, and I dont tap, or slap. I use fingers, a pick sometimes.
  4. sifi76

Mar 14, 2007
    New Zealand
    Yeah I'm looking at maybe getting one of these as well, music123 is running them out in the metallic grey colour, I'd prefer black but hey what can ya do. I'm used to playing rock and hard rock, anything from old school tallica and megadeth to alice in chains and I need something punchy enough to get me a good solid tone, I'm not a fidler when it comesto tonal shaping,I usually dial something in and stick with it, but it has to have a lot of punch. Also the 35 you mentioned is a plus in my books as I detune a lot thanks to the sabbath covers. To tell the truth the main reason I like em is that back cutaway, it's just nicer looking than say an esp f series or a bc rich, but still has a bit of that 'metal' feel. I realise the pickup isn't worth much stock but how much punch can you get out of it? is it similar to an OLP mm2 musicman copy? and can these basses stock pup's easily be swapped out with say an EMG, duncan or maybe a dimarzio? Oh and how light are these basses? I've played everything from fender's to soundgears so I'm used to various weights but I prefer lighter bases, so I can throw em around a lot more. cheers :bassist:
  5. Aria IGB-40

Ive owned one for several years now, its completely stock with DR Highbeams on it, and I still play it almost daily, Its a GREAT bass, its a SUPER lightweight, and is very punchy but clear and crisp in its high notes.

I own Several more expensive basses and have had the chance to buy even more, but with this Aria along with my other basses im pretty much happy.

Shes still my favorite though.

Ive had the chance to play a Tremor 4X, and it is alright, but it doesnt have the MusicMan Stingray tone I think your hopeing to get from that humbucker, its alright for the cash, but the Aria is WAY better IMO.

Post pics once you get whichever one you decided on.