Aria or Warwick for Metallica

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Force, Aug 20, 2005.

1. Force

Aug 18, 2005
    Canberra, Australia
    Hey, I can't get the Ibanez Iceman anymore, but I'm thinking of getting an Aria or a Warwick. Can someone please tell me if these two EXACT basses I'm linking are good for playing Metallica? cause I don't wanna waste any money here.

Aria IGB50

Warwick RockBass Streamer Standard 4 String

If they're both good for Metallica, which one would be better to buy?

2. Dude, if I where you, I would just go out and play both of them, then make your descision.

Your not going to sound like cliff with the Aria unless you have Electro-Harmonix Big Muff and a Morely Fuzz/wah, and even then you're gonna have a bit of trouble figuring it out, theres alot of voodoo involved.

And the warwick is a great rock bass but again, your not going to sound like the members of metallica using it.

So go out and play the basses as opposed to asking us, that way, you get what you want rather than what we want or think you should have. If you want an unbias opinion, here's not the place to get it. (No Offence guys, but you gotta admit, this is all personal preference.)
  3. Force

Aug 18, 2005
    Canberra, Australia
    Thanks for the help, but there's no shop near me that has those two basses, so therefore I can't try them :(. That's why I'm asking here.
  4. Oh, my mistake. Forgive my rudeness.

Well, this makes things different. I Have played both basses in my time. I must say that the Aria reigned supreme. They're cheaper too, so you could afford some morely or E.Harmonix action if you wanted. But I must say the Aria's playability was fantastic. It also had this fantastic low end quality that I dont see often, so much so that it cut through my distortion, which is hard. Personally, the Aria is my vote.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

The Aria might be better.
  7. Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    heh, the neck pup is in the wrong position for Metallica :D

the Rockbass Streamer would be closer to the Spector that Newsted used briefly, but then again, both basses would work for metal and there's other variables that could get you close to the sound(strings, pickups, amp, fingers, room acoustics, etc)
  8. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Didn't Cliff use a blue Aria back in the day?
  9. Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    It was a black Aria Pro II. I believe it was this year or last year that Aria produced a Cliff Burton model. Anyone with info on this?
  10. Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars

Although it's not a real close copy of the Black and Gold model Cliff Burton played. Cliff's actual bass had golden hardware, not all black.

11. Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    I knew someone around here would have the info. Are they still making them?
  12. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    I can play metallica stuff fine with my washburn p bass.......oh ya it was only 150$