Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aria pro 2- need info please

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lucas vigor, Sep 8, 2004.

1. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    I had a early 80's aria pro 2 bass. It was a four string, It had one single pickup that was cream colored, shaped like a soapbar, but had the exposed pole pieces in the typical z shaped p-bass format..anyone know the model number, or have a picture?

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
  3. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Based on your description, it sounds like it was either a Cardinal Series bass or a TriSound/ThorSound series bass. Do you remeber if it was a full scale instrument?

4. Winston TK

Winston TK Hairpiece Adventurer

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    I second the Cardinal or Tri/Thor Sound Series bass suggestion.

And, David........Thanks so much for that link!! I'm a huge fan of Aria Pro II/Matsumoku basses. I just loved checking out all those classic catalogue scans. Needless to say, I bookmarked that site immediately.

5. Murray

Murray

Sep 7, 2004
    Anyone know what the difference is between the Tri and Thor sound basses?

6. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    My first 'decent' bass was an Aria Cardinal Series CSB360. Very nice bass.... :)

7. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    I believe they are the same bass just 2 different names. I just bought an original TSB-550 from circa 1979. It says Thor Sound on the headstock and the TriSound logo is on the hard case.

Great basses, but medium scale (820mm or about 32"). Mine just came in and BADLY needs a setup.

8. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    I've had many a thor sound bass and a few SB's as well. it sounds like the stacked voume/tone on the neck thru tsb-450. Any stacked pot should work as a replacement. Try allparts.com or warmoth.com

9. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    no problem! I have an 80's SB-1000 that doesn't get much use these days live, but I love it.

10. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Not getting much use! Hmm... Let me know if you ever need someone ro take it off of your hands.

11. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    not a chance, sorry! It's in mint condition, I play 5's pretty much exclusively live these days - the Aria gets most work in the Joy Division covers band I play in now and again
    :)

12. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    Thanks guys!

Judging from the picture, it was either the TBS-350 or 550. It had a "coil tap" switch.

13. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Darn! Well it was worth a chance. Mine is mint too. Bought it for nostalgia as well. Probably part of the reason I am so connected to it, but it is a really fine bass to boot. The reissues list at $2499 and IMO compared to some of the schlock out there at that price point, it is worth every penny!

14. Walbassman

Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN

http://www.broadway-music.com/catg/CON407000048079.html

It is only 150.00

Let me know if you want me to check it out. It is close to my office....

Jaymi

15. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    I know that store! No, but thanks so much. It has the "modern" headstock. I'm old school!