1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aria Pro 80's bridge

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tymophil, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Tymophil

Tymophil

Aug 16, 2006
    I have a question.

What metal was used for Aria Pro TSB-550 bridges in the early 80s ?

Thanks.

2. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    If they're anything like the 80's SB series ( 1000, 900, 700, 600, etc ) then they'll be brass, but dont quote me.

Presumably you have the model with the bat wing headstock ? I have the feeling they might have been steel. The 650 looked like brass

3. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    My TSB-400 is a 1981 model, and the bridge appears to be chrome plated brass.

4. Tymophil

Tymophil

Aug 16, 2006
    Thanks for the answers,

The gold wore off and it shows a rather greyish metal. It doesn't look like brass at all...

5. Tymophil

Tymophil

Aug 16, 2006
    Hi all,

I have polished the bridge to remove what was left of the gold plating. I think I arrived to a layer of chrome or something (white and shiny metal). While polishing, I saw some copper underneath. And there is steel (or so it seems) under the layer of copper.

Now, I found methods to blacken the steel. BUT, I wonder if I need to remove all the layers before applying the product...