Aria Pro Avante Steve Bailey

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rope, Jul 27, 2004.

1. Rope

May 27, 2003
    Essexville, MI
  2. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I think there are a few reasons:

1) Aria, as a name brand, has simply not held up over the years in terms of demand. That doesn;t mean that they don't make decent basses (that's up for others to debate), it just means that they simply aren't viewed as a viable player in today's market. I think the 80s had a lot to do with that as brands like Aria, Jackson and some others are commonly attached to the angular headstock days of cheese "metal".

2) The Steve Bailey sig bass is commonly associated with the 6-string fretless version. The 4-string fretted hardly differentiates itself from an already crowded field of Korean-made, low-end basses.

3) The REAL Steve Bailey model (i.e., the US-made one, I think) is probably the one you are thinking of in the 1200.00 price range. The Korean versions were made with cheaper materials and electronics and sold for much less.

4) Aesthetically speaking, the pickguard turns a LOT of people off. In fact, the body shape in general is not to everyone's liking, thus narrowing the scope of the market.
  3. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland

I totally agree on that. Besides... I think the six string fretless looks really great. You see them very rarely.
  4. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Is that bass still in production?? (the fretless 6 sig.)
    and yeah, the bass where i learned was an Aria FB series and that thing was a jackson clone (all RED tough), I still play that bass once and awhile when I go to my big bands rehearsal and that thing has a got such a tone that its begging to be defretted :p