1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD Aria Pro-II RSB Deluxe 5 string 1984 w SB-900 Electronics Matsumoku MIJ

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by rogerbmiller, Apr 22, 2016.

1. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Price:
    Strings:
    This is a VERY rare, 5 string Aria Pro-II RSB Deluxe 5. This is a 5-string bass that features many of the SB series appointments including the distinctive body shape, SB-900 electronics and the Aria machined brass bridge featured on the SB series.

It is not often I can say this but you have probably never seen one of these and you probably will never see one again. In the 12 or so years I have owned this bass I have never seen another come up for sale.

This bass is dated 1984. I believe it is the first 5 string ever produced by Aria, and according to a friend of mine who is a long-time attorney in the musical instrument business and the former owner of one of these back in the day, it was one of the very first manufactured 5 strings, period! Prior to these and some other early imports, 5 strings were predominately made by boutique instrument maker such as Alembic and Carl Thompson. It was really only in the late 80s that 5 strings became mass produced by various brands.

This bass is a monster. The mojo in the Aria Superbasses are largely in the electronics so this does not disappoint. Here is a blurb on the SB900 electronics pickup configuration that is featured on this bass:

Aria Pro II SB Series

This bass is not a perfect 10 but it is in very good shape for its age or otherwise. Just some honest wear here and there as pictured but nothing too severe.

I honestly don't know how to price this given its rarity so I am doing the pricing based on the low side of Aria-Pro II SB bass listing prices. So I am asking $sold shipped, add $25 if you are in MST or PST time zones. While I think this is a fair price, I would certainly consider any reasonable best offers. It is actually quite important to me that this bass ends up with someone who will keep the bass a long time and appreciate its rarity and history the way I have. This is truly a piece of Matsumoku history and a piece of 5-string history.

Picture and slideshow below. Please PM if you have any questions.

Thanks for looking

Aria RSB Deluxe 5 Slideshow by Roger Miller

7F25F24B-8658-4670-9B1A-308E097D8DC9_zpsidadazr6.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
  2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    :jawdrop:
    Please tell me this has incredibly narrow string spacing so I don't buy it.
    The first nice bass I ever played live was a 4 string exactly like it. Now I only play 5s. So that bass is like an old high school sweetheart all grown up.

GLWTS

rogerbmiller likes this.
  3. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    I wouldn't say incredibly tight. I can measure if you would like.

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Just for fun please do. Spacing at the bridge is really my concern. Too narrow and I can't get my big hotdogs in between there.

Please somebody buy this really cool bass. Trust me. The electronics package makes it a tone machine. I played the 4 strung in a jazz band and a garage band and it was right at home in both.

5. T Bassman

T Bassman Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2010
    Canada
    OMG, I had one of these too back in 87/88. Was my first 5'er, with a high C to boot! Had no idea they are so rare now! What a beat. GLWTS!

rogerbmiller likes this.
  6. 000_Unknown

000_Unknown

Jan 18, 2014
    Ive got an 84 too. Its awesome!! D-lux..

rogerbmiller likes this.
  7. drumsnbass

drumsnbass Bassic User

Dec 13, 2004
    Phoenix AZ area
    So what is the spacing on this puppy anyway?

8. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    16mm string spacing, I believe. Same deep neck profile as the SB series basses. Quite nice actually.

9. drumsnbass

drumsnbass Bassic User

Dec 13, 2004
    Phoenix AZ area
    A bit tight for me, but thanks!

10. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    I will measure for sure. I am away but get home tomorrow and can be more definitve. But I do believe this was made with the Aria SB series measurements which would be 16mm.

11. HubbardsFate

HubbardsFate

Oct 18, 2006
    When I first got into music/bass (at age 16), one of my "music friends" was a guitarist who owned an Aria Pro II model dubbed the "Mad Axe" (yes that was the actual model name...) - I got my own bass that X-Mas - a Yamaha BB300 - which was a fine enough bass, especially for a beginner, but I remember much preferring my friend's Aria Pro II. Years later I picked up an Aria Pro II SB-2 (I think?), a cool little bass, but eventually sold it. I guess what I am getting at is that I have a bit of a 'soft spot' for Aria Pro IIs, and I am mainly into 5 and 6-string basses now...I'd definitely be interested in this one but for one sticking point (literally) - the painted neck. I can't do painted necks...:rollno:

Very cool bass...good luck! :)

rogerbmiller likes this.
  12. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    You could have the neck stripped or sanded to a more satin feel. Just sayin'...

13. HubbardsFate

HubbardsFate

Oct 18, 2006
    You just HAD to say that, didn't you? :meh:o_O:roflmao:

rogerbmiller likes this.
  14. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Yessir. I solve problems.

15. bevan lurrito

bevan lurrito

Jan 9, 2007
    Paging Mr. Gould... Mr. Gould, you have a telephone call at the front desk.

rogerbmiller likes this.
  16. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    ^^^
    Yes!

17. HubbardsFate

HubbardsFate

Oct 18, 2006
    One of the things one must ask oneself RE: this particular bass is "How much blacker can it get?"

The answer, of course, is...none. None more black. :unsure:

rogerbmiller likes this.
  18. Preventer

Preventer

Dec 23, 2007
    Interesting. The concept of "heel-less" neck and the very form of the body are kind of close to early Mike Tobias basses. Even the "drop-shoulder' pickups reminds of those old Bartolini`s...Is it accidentally? ;)

BTW, I played something very similar to this model (may be, SB-R150) about 10 years ago - it was the first fine bass and the first 5-string bass I touched. The owner had the pickup soldered to jack directly. That bass sounded so good and responded so lively that I immediately started purchasing negotiating...

Good luck with your sale!

rogerbmiller likes this.
  19. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Roger is the man! One of the best sellers and people I've dealt with here on TB! GLWTS Roger!!!!!!!!

rogerbmiller likes this.
  20. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Thanks man. The kind words are much much appreciated.

Keep on rocking that Aria :)

Quadzilla likes this.