Aria Pro II SB-1000 Users - Please Help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fangry, Jul 16, 2002.

1. Fangry

Apr 27, 2002
    Helsinki, Finland

Yesterday I finally bought an SB-1000 (paid 340€/$, not bad I think). It's a bit beat up, but otherwise beautiful and I love the feel and sound.

The action was really low, and while it was comfortable, my band detunes so I released the truss rod a bit. Today as I tried to release it a bit more it just came loose, like any screw. It didn't come out, but I had to tighten it again.

Could it be it has a rod like the Rick 4001 (loosen, twist neck, tighten), is there something I'm ignorant about or is this beautiful thing just played to pieces (it's from 1980)?

Thanks for any help.

2. can't help with your trussrod problem, just wanted to say that you had a great deal! Aria SB1000 basses rule!
  3. Fangry

Apr 27, 2002
    Helsinki, Finland
    Bump - anyone?
  4. Fangry

Apr 27, 2002
    Helsinki, Finland
    C'mon - of the hordes that love this bass there's bound to be somebody that can reply!
  5. c'mon somebody help this guy!;)
  6. virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    Ibought an Aria SB700,the passive version of the 1000,in 1980.I regret selling it now,but anyway,it sounds to me that you've simply relaxed the truss rod as much as it can be relaxed.Give it an eighth of a turn back just so it won't rattle,and try some heavier strings that still tug on the neck even when detuned.I mean,if you're planning on detuning a lot,you could get a 5 string set and use the B for an E etc.
  7. Fangry

Apr 27, 2002
    Helsinki, Finland
    The problem really is that the neck's dead straight. I can't get any bow whatsoever.

Please, do reply.
  8. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Sounds to me that virtual.ray is probably right about the truss rod. You are obviously not going to get any more bow that way. And also as virtual.ray said, since you are detuning, perhaps you could pull a BEAD set of strings up to whatever note you are detuning to. That oughta give you some bow.
  9. I agree with 'virtual' - I think you've lossened the rod off as much as it will go and now its just slack - put a quarter turn on it to stop it rattling and use heavier strings - it should pull up the relief and get you there.

If you've never done these sort of adjustments before you ought to be talking to someone in a shop who can guide you though it face to face - for example, snapping the truss rod is more than a teensy problemette - you won't want to know how much it will cost to repair.