1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aria Pro II SB-1000cb, Need more low end. Maybee an OLC Flipster

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Koffelito, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Koffelito

Koffelito

Dec 9, 2007
    Hi everbody.

I recently bought a Aria Pro II SB-1000cb. Similar to the SB-1000. I love it. I think it sounds awesome but sometimes i miss a little low end. Tried to add it on the amp but is there any preamp or something that could help on the way. I Looked in to the olc Flipster and it seems nice. One good thing about that one is that i can build it myself and thats more fun that way.
    http://www.olcircuits.com/olc_flipster.html
    Can that pedal help me?

Then i saw in some thread here that the sansamp bass driver worked good with this bass.

Any tips of pedals/preamps that could help me get more lowend. I want both tips of diy-pedals and already assembled ones.

And i appologise for my "so so" english. :)

2. Koffelito

Koffelito

Dec 9, 2007
    BUMP Someone?

3. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Your profile doesn't list any of the other equipment you use. What amp are you playing through?

The Flipster is great, we have some threads about it in the Effects forum. But you can't use EQ to increase lows if your amp is not strong enough and you don't have enough speaker area to reproduce those lows.

4. Koffelito

Koffelito

Dec 9, 2007
    I have a fender rumble 100 watt 1*15.

Edit: A clarification. I mean that i don't get out low end like with my p-bass. And if i can get it out low end with my p-bass through my amp it should be strong enough or do you need a stronger amp for a bass with no low end in it self?

5. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    No, if you get plenty of lows with your P bass then the amp is sufficient, it's just a question of EQ then. Really any EQ pedal (or "preamp" with EQ controls) will work. If you build the Flipster, you can choose FETs and bias voltages that allow cleaner settings instead of more-distorted ones. If you decide you don't want to build it, check out the Barber Linden.

6. Koffelito

Koffelito

Dec 9, 2007
    What do you mean by FETs and bias voltages?

7. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    a few suggestions:

- try raising the pickups. a few milimeters can make a hugh change in overall output.

- the tone that different string sets will provide varies greatly.
    you can try a set with heavier gauge or a set of flats for the most ballsy low end.

- plucking hand position. try playing further away from the bridge.

8. Koffelito

Koffelito

Dec 9, 2007
    Done that and thats not the problem. The output is really high.

The thing about this bass is that it's made to have much mid sound. I like it but i would like to be able to adjust for more low end. But i maybee try a set of flats.

Thats not the problem either.

9. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    I was going to raise the mid voicing point.
    this bass was made to sound mid heavy as this achived a sound that was considered popular during the 80s.

so unless you replace the electronics I doubt you can make it devoid of that mid-heavy tone.

10. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    A "FET" is the type of transistor used in the Flipster. There are four of them in there. Different models of FET provide different amounts of distortion in this circuit. The distortion can also be adjusted by raising or lowering the voltage that goes into one leg of each FET; changing that voltage is called "biasing", and the voltage level itself is called "bias voltage".

11. Koffelito

Koffelito

Dec 9, 2007
    And the transistors that comes with the kit is those for much or little dist?

12. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I believe the kits are now sold to be built with less gain. It was originally designed as dirt box... but when I got mine, I explained the need for it to be a lower gained tone box. It will still do distortion, but it can now be used as a boost / EQ. It's a cool little pedal.