Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aria Pro II Sb-1000RI - A Crap Marketing Job?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by rogerbmiller, Jan 20, 2005.

1. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    So I just got the latest issue of Bass PLayer in my mailbox. The cover features Cliff Burton and in the magazine was a very nice and (in my humble opinion as someone whoe rarely listens to Metallica if ever) long overdue tribute to the virtuoso who left this world way too early and way too tragically.

But I couldn't help but think, was this article a product placement from Aria USA? The Gear section of the article only pictured and mentioned Cliff's SB-1000 which has heretofore only been available in Japan. And the Gear section really only mentioned that the SB-1000RI (reissue) is currently available for sale. No mention of how/where Cliff found the bass or when/why he chose it as his main axe. Cliff also played Ricks and who knows what else but his other axes had no mention.

My suspicions were raised because in the same issue there was an Aria ad (which I have not seen in this rag since the late 80's) featuring the SB reissue as well.

But what burns me is that the ad references the website for www.ariausa.com for more info on the reissue series and when you go to the website, there is no info about the series at all (it's "under constrction")! Not about the reissues or where to get them! Now what really burns here is that for the last year + I have been surfing the site for this info and it has always been that way. The reissues are not available in the US still! There are so many SB (Superbass) models availalbe in Japan currently but not here. And even when Aria puts such a blatant product placement in BP Mag to capitalize on the Duran Duran reunion, they can't support it with some web pages or better yet, inventory!

I want to buy a 2 pickup superbass already. Is that so wrong!!!!????

These are some of the best basses ever made. If the Bass Payer ad was meant to ressurect the SB line, it was not well done as the company website still does not give any US user a clue as to where to get the SB's in the US if they are even avialable here. Let's hope that the Aria folks fix that. The would have one very enthusiastic customer if they did...

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

More of a Miscellaneous thread. Moved.

3. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    How about retitiling - Aria Pro II Sb-1000RI - A Crap Marketing Job?

4. Bass Player magazine ... shilling for their advertisers? The hell you say! :D

- Dave

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Darn. Now that it's not in my forum, I can't change the signature. I sent a Mod report with the new title.

6. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Product placement makes the whole world go round. But they could have at least done a betterjob. I think I'll forward this thread to ARIA.