Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aria Pro II SB Black 'n' Gold II

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Winston TK, Nov 4, 2004.

1. Winston TK

Winston TK Hairpiece Adventurer

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    I just got my hands on one of these, and I am extremely impressed.

Anyone have any experience with these?

2. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    Played one of those once - beatiful bass, even by todays standards!

3. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    I am jealous! Where did you get it and do they have any more???

4. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    Excellent basses, used mostly in the late 70's and early 80's by bassists in Duran Duran, Metallica and others. sound great when played with a pick. Good buy!

5. Hammer what is your sig from?

"Any escape may help smooth the unattractive truth"

I'm 100% sure thats a Rush song. Just cant put my finger on it!
    I should know, I have all thier albums

6. Thats right! I'm so much happier now :D

7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    don't have that one. But I do have a ProII SB-1000, and have a fretless Elite II on the way!

The SB-1000 has a very unique sound, I haven't heard another bass sound like it

8. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Where did you find yours? What's wrong with me??? I look everywhere and can never find these things!!!!!!!

I have an SB-1000, a TSB-550 and a Vantage twin P pickup bass on the way. Love these old Matsumoku basses, especially the Aria's! Would love to know your sources.

9. Robman

Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    I've got the Aria Pro II SB Black & Gold I. Picked it up at a local music/pawn shop. The only thing I don't like about it is there is no taper on the body above the bridge where my arm/wrist lies.

10. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Da 'Bay for both of them. Saved search agents are your friend (and your wallets enemy)

Here's the Elite II.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3757417404&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT

11. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    There are two rather "beat" Aria SB series basses on ebay right now. Do a search for "Aria Bass" and you'll see them. One is in the UK, the other is down under.

Shannon

12. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
  13. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yup, alembic pickups/preamp. It's modded but I'll take it :)

14. Winston TK

Winston TK Hairpiece Adventurer

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    Roger,

I happened to find this particular Matsumoku-era Aria Pro II SB B&G II at one of my local music stores here in Vancouver. I just went in there one day to buy strings. While I was talking to the salesman, something just caught my attention out of the corner of my eye. I could have sworn I saw the classic Aria Pro II headstock shape hanging on the wall between a bunch of Warwicks. After multiple takes, I spotted "it".

I was stunned. You just don't see good vintage Aria Pro II's in stores in Vancouver any more. People just aren't parting with these like they once did (and for good reason).

I have now tested this bass out in a live situation and in the studio. It really impressed me in both cases. And this is with only one fully functioning pickup for the time being!

It now sits proudly next to my Aria Pro II TSB400, which, until now, has been my premiere studio bass. (Of course, my MusicMan StingRay 4 will always have a position of prominence in the lineup as well.)

Looks like the caption under my screen name couldn't be more true!

15. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    I've had my share of Aria's in the past, I played a TSB-400 and a TSB-650 for about 10 years until I bougt a Warwick. The late 70's early 80's Aria basses (TSB, RSB and SB's) are excellent unique sounding basses that hold up very well and for now can still be had for not a ton of cash. I try to buy one whenever I run across one which is becoming very infrequently now. And yes my sig is from "Subdivisions" :hyper:

16. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    You know the rub in all this is that all of the Aria Super Basses are still being made in Japan. Between the dearth of really cool basses on the market and Duran Duran's reuinion, Aria could make an absolutel killing in the states of they made them available.

Be assured, if I ever travel to Japan, I am stocking up on Superbasses!

17. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I know. I watched the Duran Duran "The Set" show on VH1 last night and THE TONE! I wanted to run out and buy an SB-1000.

18. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Yep. Every time I see an old aria, i buy it. I'm up to 3 now and I'm optimistically clearing out closets...

19. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    It's a unique sounding bass all right, can't think of another that sounds like it.

I use mine rarely, not as much as I should, but when I do I have a blast.