1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD Aria Pro II SB-R60 Matsumoku MIJ

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by rogerbmiller, Apr 22, 2016.

1. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Price:
    Strings:
    !PRICE DROPPED!

I am selling my Aria Pro II SB-R60. This one is dated 1981 putting it in the golden years of the Matsumoku factory. This is Japanese made and a quality instrument through and through.

For those not familiar with this model, the SB-R series was Aria’s precursor to the later “Elite” Series. Both the SB-R series and the Elite Series were intended to be a slightly modified alternative to the standard SB series. The SB-R series feature the same SB body and design, slimmer neck profile and wider string spacing than the standard SB line (spacing is 18MM for the SB-Rs vs. 16MM for the regular SBs). Unlike the later Elite series this has the slimmer body, the SB-Rs are the classic SB shape and the same classic chrome hardware. This even has the proprietary SB bridge in chrome (while the standard SB models featured a brass bridge). As with the wider necked Elite series, this bass features elliptical and more ornate dot markers.

The bass is essentially a lighter weight SB bass by design. The SB-R were short lived, with Aria opting to replace them with the more “blinged-out” Elite series which because popular that to an endorsement by Rudy Sarzo for the Elite II. In fact here is some trivia: the Peavey Sarzo bass was modeled after the Aria SB Elite II.

These basses are just incredible players and they sound great. For reference, spin the first Duran Duran record. There is a high output humbucker in the sweet spot which can be coil tapped for more cut or more beef. The bass has lots of articulation and also lots of punch. And it is a breeze to play. Very comfortable and you can get the action nice and low.
    As with all basses made at Matsumoku the build quality and craftsmanship is outstanding all the way down to the little details like the beveling where the input jack is located and the countersunk bridge. They truly don’t make production basses like this anymore.

This bass is a player’s bass and is priced accordingly. I bought it as such and have owned it for over 12 years, keeping it as a go to bass for playing in the house.

The electronics are all working as they should and 100% original and this bass is set up incredibly well. It is truly a joy to play and is an exemplary model of the easy playability of these amazing SB basses.

As for what makes this a player bass, the original knobs were replaced with numeral knobs, the super low action has caused some wear on the pickup cover and the end of the fingerboard, and there are several few dings, scratches and a couple of small chips all shown in the pictures. The worst is that there is relatively big chip resulting in some wood missing from inside the upper horn area and the prior owner drilled a few strap pin holes in the horn. This is the only real ugly stuff and the bass and fortunately it is out of sight to your audience. Also, based on some discoloration on the film covering the tuner caps it appears this bass might have seen a smoky bar or two in its day however it does not smell like it. Check out the photos which are pretty detailed.

Overall, this is a great bass visually save for the horn area and mechanically this plays like a dream. Whether you are an avid Aria/Matsumoku fan like me or you’ve always wanted to try one of these, I am pretty sure this bass will be quite a pleaser in the tone and feel departments.

I am asking only $350 or best offer for the bass shipped to EST and CST time zones. I am asking that buyers located in Mountain or Pacific Time add an extra $25 as shipping prices are quite high these days. I will consider international sales but please PM me first as we will need to determine the feasibility of and agree upon the extra price of shipping outside the US.

I would encourage you to look at my feedback and know you can buy with confidence. If you have any question please let me know. I LOVE to talk about Matusmoku basses!

Slideshow below. Thanks for looking

Aria SB-R60 Slideshow by Roger Miller

FB774DF7-D9D0-4ADF-96B0-B255AC8A7BDF_zpsnmc2crvv.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
    rojo412 and armybass like this.
  2. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    This is similar to the John Taylor Aria no?

rogerbmiller likes this.
  3. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Yes. He initially played the passive SB600 and SB700 models which were used to record the first Duran Duran record. This is based on those but with a different neck profile and wider strings spacing.

The typical Aria Pro-II SB basses have tight 16mm spacing and a very deep neck profile. These SB-Rs, and later the SB Elites, had a more traditional Jazz neck profile (for lack of a better comparison) and 18mm string spacing.

All the tone and mojo of the SB is here, it is just in a package that will feel more familiar to players who are not used to or fond of the standard SB models.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  4. Sleepwalker42

Sleepwalker42 Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2008
    Chicago
    Every time Roger sells a bass there's something to learn from his descriptions. A true asset to Talkbass.

rojo412 and rogerbmiller like this.
  5. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Thanks. I just cleaned up some typos in my description to make it a bit more clear. But I appreciate the props. These were only made for about 2 years so a pretty cool bass.

And I will take offers for it. It's a players bass so I want it going to a player!

6. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Just price dropped this to $375 or best offer. I really want this bass to get into a players hands. It has the original electronics which have all the mojo and it plays like a dream. Make me an offer!

7. 000_Unknown

000_Unknown

Jan 18, 2014
    Deal Alert!! I've played most of the SB's and I love them all, but the R's are my favorite.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
    rogerbmiller likes this.
  8. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    I just dropped the price down to $350 or best offer. A previously stated, I want a player to get this bass and keep the aria love alive so PM me if you are interested. Any reasonable best offer will be considered.

Thanks!

9. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Sale pending payment

armybass likes this.
  10. Scottpro1969

Scottpro1969 Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2005
    Townsend, MA
    Is this still available????