Aria Pro II SB1000

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Walbassman, Mar 6, 2004.

1. Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    I just got one of these in a trade. I am not super familiar with the bass and I have done a little research and it appears to be an 84 model. It is the reddish color and it comes with the Aria case. It is excellent condition and I am not sure if I will keep it, but was curious about all of your collective thoughts about it. (I know it is and was the Duran Duran bass of choice but that was not really a consideration as to why I got it)...

:bassist: :D
  2. I always loved the Aria's i have tried...i thought they were good solid basses.

Aria has supposedly started making SB basses again this year...they have them listed on their site, but have no info yet.
  3. steviecsg

Aug 16, 2002

one of the better links on aria basses. very informative with links to other great aria sites.

I used to have one but i sold it because the tonal variation never really caught on with me. no doubt it has superb construction. however, the neck was a bit rubbery for my taste
  4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I have a black one from '84, only got it last year but it had been kept in it's case in a cupboard for 15 years so it's in excellent condition.

String spacing takes a bit of getting used to (16mm at the bridge!)

Very nasal honky sound, putting it through a Sansamp really helped to give a warmer sound. It's not the most versatile of basses. I've found that only two of the 'attack' settings are usuable in a band situation. They're also kind of heavy, but very well constructed.

I don't use it in my regular band, but do use it from time to time in a side band where I need a cutting tone. I've considered swapping out the electronics for something more useful (3 band eq).

If you go here there's a great collection of model information and old catalogs.

Aria JP are making the SB-1000 again, and John Taylor has his signature edition

SB-1000 RI
    SB-1000 JT Signature

They've also reissued the SB-800, which had two pickups.
  5. steviecsg

Aug 16, 2002
    for some reason, i too found only 2 attack settings useable in a band situation. the rest were had really strange frequency cut and ended up really nasal and peculiar.

actually, the passive mode with preamp off sounded better than preamp on IMO
  6. zayne101

May 8, 2009
    I have one. Got it in 1989. Comfortable frets but very heavy.
    Prefers to play it in passive mode when playing with a band.
  7. Dee_01

May 19, 2007
    Wow, old thread.

I just got an SB-R150 which should be arriving tomorrow. Can't wait! :hyper:
  8. bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    They're excellent basses... I bought mine in 80/81. I went with a friend to the Wal workshop. he was having one built for him and I didn't have the sponds. Local music shop in Oxford (Taphouses) had this lined fretless...

Recent photo...hehe.

Ser No. 010159

I can't remember how much I paid for it... around £600/£800?

I've since found the original selector switch.

Lovely long, thin neck.

I gigged it a lot! Still got it too.
  9. Hopper

Sep 24, 2008
    I had one back in '78

My first 'proper' bass.
  10. spigmu

Mar 25, 2009

My first decent bass was this one with 2 pickups, from the late lamented pawn shop in NYC on 8th Ave at 45th St. in the early '80s. (I was late to the bass party) Flipped over lefty it was my only bass for ages. Kept it until last year.

Awesome, fast neck. I've always wondered why no one makes bolt on replacements with that kind of shape and radius. The difference between the nut width and the bridge width seems less than Fender style necks, so it doesn't grow much wider as it approaches the neck joint (or am I just imagining that? It had an Alembic kind of feel to me, and that's what I attributed it to). I could never figure out exactly what the 30 mini toggle combinations were doing, but they were doing something. Alas, it never intonated well up and down the neck, was a heeeaaaavy thing, and the horns weren't giving me a good place for a lefty strap button that would balance well, but I have to admit when I saw pictures of myself playing I thought it looked boss, in a Gerald Johnson (awesome Steve Miller bassist) kind of way. After not playing it for a decade I had to move it on (space in NYC is quite the premium).

Thanks for the memories!!
  11. bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    Yes... must get out and gig it some more... the neck is thru body all the way to the strap button.
  12. Dee_01

May 19, 2007
    You're not imagining it. The nut width on an SB1000 is 44mm. At the 12th fret it's 52mm. The string spacing is a mere 16mm. The thin Aria necks like this usually always had plain dot inlays. These necks were designed with the smaller hands of the average Asian player in mind.

Aria also made the SB-R series which have wider necks. 42mm at the nut, 55mm at the 12th fret. The 18mm string spacing at the bridge is closer to a Fender spacing (19mm). Inlays are a little more fancy, oval-shaped.

Tons of info on the old SB basses here:
  13. tsunami

Jul 31, 2009
    I know the nut is 44mm long, but does someone know the width and height of the nut?

I need to make a nut for my SB-1000, currently it has none.

thank you
  14. tsunami

Jul 31, 2009
    Please.., someone help me. The bass has just been sitting. :(
  15. edervjo

Nov 19, 2009
    Santa Rosa, Ca.
    from '81 until '07 it was my ONLY bass, and has served me well. Funny, the electronics went out the day my new Schecter 5string came home, hmmmm

The string spacing is WIDE at he nut!!

tsunami, perhaps the folks at Alembic may be of help with having a nut made.

Mine, custom body and paint in '86, EMG insertion in '09
  16. atrapp

atrapp Gold Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2006
    Portland, Oregon
    I dunno why, but this foto should be included on the unwritten list of best fotos at TB list.
  17. bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
  18. LeeRoyal

Oct 10, 2010
    I have a 1980 SB 1000, and have been palying it for 16 years. The original eletronics died in it, but I cannot give up this amazing double octive slim, stron bass. Best Action I have ever played.

I have upgraded the tuning machines and am about to put in a Bartollini passive soap bar - all electronics moving outside the bass.

Anyone esle upgrade from the original?
  19. zayne101

May 8, 2009
    Hi all, I'm reluctantly selling off my black SB1000. Anyone interested pls email me at for more details and pictures.