aria pro ii

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wayner, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Wayner

May 7, 2004
    Maryland, USA
    I have recently picked up an aria pro ii p-bass copy made in japan circa 1976-77 by a fellow named Matsumoko. The stock pickups have also been replaced...

Anyone else have one of these basses? Any opinions? I am blown away by how nice this thing is. Curious as to what others think.
  2. FriscoBassAce

Dec 29, 2004
    Frisco, Texas
    Independent Manufacturers Representative
    I owned an Aria Pro II back in 1985-1986. It was a great bass and it only cost me $100 used. I later sold it when I needed cash. I think I did a search once and there is a website or 2 dedicated to Aria basses.
  3. buddy of mine has just refurbed one of the signal p/u models. Stripped, sanded and finished with a light oil - no more ugly laquer! EMG 6 string p/u fitted nicely in the slot.

Really nice to play, heaps of sustain, the EMGs have a nice variety of tones. Pretty nice considering it only cost him time and the price of the p/u!
  4. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Arias of that period were great instruments. You've made a good find there by the sound of it.
  5. cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    I played a 1978 single-pickup Aria Pro II for a couple years. Those are quality basses - well-made and comfortable, and pretty cool-looking, too. The brass bridge with the hook-in string anchoring was the best on the market at the time. The Arias did a lot to challenge the prejudices that used to exist against Japanese-made instruments. The original Pro II range was designed by the guy (H. Noble, as he called himself) who went on to launch Atlansia. Matsumoku was the name of the manufacturing house, I believe.
  6. Paul182

May 18, 2005
    I've got an Aria Pro II XRB Series Bass. It was My First. Good sound but hard to play. Its from abou 84-87. I can't find it on that Page someone posted. :crying:
  7. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    As you do more research you'll come to find that the J & P bass copies from that period are all intermingled between several companies ... Aria, Hagstrom, Kent, Goya and a bunch of other brands. I have a 1968 Goya that I bought on the 'bay for $200 and I'm currently converting it into a fretless (still looking for a vintage Goya fretless unlined neck if anyone has such a beast ... I have a mighty mite on it now).

My bass absolutely blows me away, the tone is astounding and it's extremely well built. If it helps any, I have more details on the bass here ....
  8. justateenpoet

justateenpoet Have you...killed the Venture brothers!?!?

May 14, 2005
    I owned a Steve Bailey sig model Aria Pro 2 6er a while ago. It was great. Basslines pickups, neat tort pickguard and burst body, weighed a ton. Great bass
  9. MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    My old '83 passive with phase switch. Sometimes confused as a coil tap
    Bought for £175 pounds and sold to a player/collector in Marseilles for £280.

Should have kept it really - cept it was a fretless and i struggle too much on them babies