1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aria Pro SB Special II electronics and pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Precision345, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Precision345

Precision345

Feb 19, 2013
    Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone can help me understand how the pickups and electronics work in an 1983 Aria Pro SB Special II. I recently found a pretty beat up one at a local pawnshop that I would like to try and pick up on the cheap ($90-$100). I'm just not sure if it's worth repairing. It's a great bass and plays pretty damn good for being in bad condition.

Here is another thread from the bass forum category where I posted the original thread regarding this bass
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/aria-pro-sb-special-ii-1027140/

Here is what the pickup config looks like

I think they are single coil pickups? The volume pots are stacked ones with vol/tone? I'm not exactly sure how they work. There is two switches as well, one for each pick up I'm guessing and also another switch for pickup selecting? Finding parts for this thing might be a pain in the ass, not sure though.

The first picture is one I found online of the same bass and the second is the actual bass

Please, anyone who could help. I would love to be able to pick this bass up for cheap if it's worth it

Attached Files:

2. teesquared

teesquared Guest

Jul 15, 2010
    Hi. Those MB3 pups with the exposed pole pieces came in 2flavours. A single coil and a humbucker. I've had a few RSB deluxe models go through my hands and they have a dual coil humbucker for the neck pup and the stacked vol/tone pot.

To make sure its a humbucker, you have to take the cover off and see how many wires connect to the switches from each pickup. If there are 4 wires its the humbucker and its a series parallel switch. Otherwise they could just be single coil pups thrown in to replace bad ones. The MB style pups were prone to losing one coil and as they have epoxy filling it means a pickup replacement. Thats why many versions of the Aria MB pups are transplanted in the wrong instruments.
    Don't worry they all sound decent.

Regards Tee.