1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aria Pro SB Special II

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Precision345, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Precision345

Precision345

Feb 19, 2013
    Found this bass today in a local pawnshop

Pretty beat up but still really cool. They want $159 for it and I can definitely talk them down considering the electronics are buggered and it's pretty beat up.

Would this bass be worth picking up on the cheap? It played pretty good, regardless of only having three strings. I think it's an 80s model based on the serial number. I would probably have to get it checked out for the electronics not working

Attached Files:

2. Precision345

Precision345

Feb 19, 2013
    more pics

Attached Files:

3. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Jan 22, 2012
    Garner, NC
    personally, I think it looks cool. if its a player, even better. however, I would not pay more than 100 for it. electronics probs may be crapped out pups, and im sure youd have a hell of a time trying to find replacements.

4. Precision345

Precision345

Feb 19, 2013
    Yes, I'd like to pick it up for no more then $100. I have a general rule of thumb that I don't pay more than $300 for a bass. I figure if I can get it for 100 and put 100 into it to get it up to playing speed then I will have a great bass. It's definitely a player

5. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Jan 22, 2012
    Garner, NC
    is there zero sound from the electronics? just curious.

6. Precision345

Precision345

Feb 19, 2013
    Yes, but I am going to go try it out again and bring my own cable because they had this piece of **** one that could have also been the problem. I think it may have been the output jack too, I didn't look at that. When I opened up the control plate it seemed to be all wired correctly

7. tomydacat

tomydacat Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2009
    RVA
    Im new to Arias but yes very much worth the 159 ..it is 83 built in japan and these are very well built and sounding basses..

8. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Jan 22, 2012
    Garner, NC
    all quite possible. you can also do the screwdriver tap test on the poles to see if theres any dead coils once (if) you get some kinda output. I wish you the best of luck, seems like a really cool piece.

9. Precision345

Precision345

Feb 19, 2013
    What's the screwdriver tap test? Never heard of that

10. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Jan 22, 2012
    Garner, NC
    take a working bass, amplify it, and tap the pole pieces with a screwdriver. there will be a loud clack/pop kinda sound. this says the pups are picking up signal, at least ime. not saying this is for detecting what's wrong with a pup, more for if there is something wrong with the pup. not the most scientific, but it works for me. good luck :)

11. Precision345

Precision345

Feb 19, 2013
    I went back and was able to get some sound out of it and also did the screwdriver test. Each pole had magnetism and attracted the screwdriver tip so I assume all poles are working :)

Thanks for the tip!

12. tomydacat

tomydacat Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2009
    RVA
    did you buy the bass?

13. Precision345

Precision345

Feb 19, 2013
    No, I haven't worked out a better price with the store yet. I'm not paying $159 for a bass with 3 strings and semi-working electronics. I just picked up a new head too so I'm a little tight on bucks right now

14. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Jan 22, 2012
    Garner, NC
    the poles are magnetized, and will attract metal. that's not the point of the test, the point is to hear the pop through the amp. if im off base, please someone correct me, I hate to give out faulty information.

15. Precision345

Precision345

Feb 19, 2013
    lol ruh oh. I better try the test again, because I was testing the bass through a guitar amp at minimal volume. The store is a toilet and doesn't even have a bass amp in their inventory :scowl:

16. Canadian APII

Canadian APII Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Ottawa Ontario
    Did you buy this bass? I have an 84 with MB-j1 pickups. I have had it since 1985 new. It has always been a solid bass.

17. Precision345

Precision345

Feb 19, 2013
    No, I was waiting for the price drop to $90 and it got snatched up before then :(