Aria pro

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eric atkinson, Apr 5, 2001.

1. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Ok i saw a old neck through model in a music store the other day! It was beat to hell and back! Tha back cover is off and kind ruff finish! But all in all it played well! But my question is if i bought it for the 400.00 that he asked i could probably get it for 300.00 could i find or replace the electronics in it? Iam guessin it was very old! Thanks all!
  2. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    replacing the electronics should be relatively simple.

as far as paying 300-400 for it, i personally think that is overpriced.
  3. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Aria actually makes some real expensive equipment. I don't honestly know how "good" it is, but they do lots of custom stuff like ESP... Aria Pro (as I recall from my highschool days) was their cheaper mass-production stuff. I used to buy that stuff for between $150 and $250 a pop.

$400 sounds real high for a used one. (unless it was one of those custom that case I don't know how good it is)
  4. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Cool i think your all right! All i remember about it was it had alot of writghing on the headstock and was neck through! So i thought maybe it was a custom thing!
  5. Aria made some decent basses back in the early 80's. Jack Bruce and lots of others used 'em (me too). But $300- 400 is a bit much I'd say, especially if it is as rough as you say. I don't know anything about the new ones.
  6. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Some of the '80's neck-though Aria Pros were very cool basses. One series even featured Alembic pickups and electronics! I remember that John Taylor (Duran Duran), the guy from Big Country-Tony Butler?, Jim Rodford of the Kinks, and Jack Bruce played them back in the day.
    I recently saw a medium-scale bolt-on '80's Aria at my local music store for $300 with 2 Bartolini humbuckers. It looked like hell but played and sounded fantastic. I went back the next day to purchase it and I guess the guy who saw me playing it the day before noticed its grooviness and bought it himself! Oh well...
  7. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    If you've ever seen Steve Bailey's fretless six string Aria you know they make some really nice basses... but that doesn't speak for all of them, of course, I played one and it was a real clunker. Dunno if it was an Aria or an Aria pro, though.
  8. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Here's my Aria Pro II. I've had it since the mid 80's. It's a TSB (Thor Sound Bass), neck thru. It's actually a pretty nice instrument. Plays great.