Aria Steve Bailey Signature bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thebug, Apr 3, 2002.

1. I was just listening to some Steve Bailey stuff, and since I play an Aria myself (I have an upgraded Aria IGB 68 myself which plays awesome) I was wondering about Steve's signature, how good is it? does it sound good? What are you opinions?
  2. LowF#

LowF# Guest

Apr 2, 2002
    Midwest USA
    I've heard this bass on a few different occasions and IMO it sounds great. It's been around awhile so its tried and true. Great fretless sound. Here are some video clips of this bass in action off Bill Dickens site. Copy and paste these into your browser and watch them, they're amazing clips of Bill Dickens, Victor Wooten, Oteil Burbridge and Steve Bailey all playing together. Plus you get to hear Steves bass too!
  3. LowF#

LowF# Guest

Apr 2, 2002
    Midwest USA
    Forgot to say this earlier but you can also hear Steve play his signature Aria on both of the Bass Extremes albums he collaberated on with Victor Wooten. You can also read about him in this months Bassics magazine which features a lengthly interview with him as well as Victor Wooten. Thanks!
  4. thanx for the replies LowF#! gonna check out the movies right away!
  5. slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Is it just me, or when 4 great bassists get together like in those videos, isn't it just one big jerkin' off session? :rolleyes:
  6. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    I think the only one who does that to an extent is Bill Dickens (please, if you're going to slap 64th ghost notes, at least do it in the right tempo!). The other players stay well within the context of the song, IMO. At least on that song, I haven't seen the whole video, only those clips.
  7. wen1012

Jan 29, 2002
    I have this bass,and it plays and sounds good !!
  8. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    They have one for cheap at Bass Central. They play great--the neck is very wide, though.

I, personally, think it has the ugliest pickguard in the known universe. I don't know where they got their tortoise shell from, but it looks cheap--I think it's made from Mother of Pepperoni. The bass is first class, though, and you can always get a new pickguard for $40. You might even like the way it looks. Steve Bailey apparently does.
  9. snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    The Bass Place in AZ has one up on ebay, new Bailey 5 for $495, no reserve. #856452761
  10. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    No point in starting a new thread, so I figured I'd dig up a somewhat related thread to post something I found on ebay that i found to be humorous.

Check out the link below. Note that the seller "liberated" this thing from some warehouse.

"liberated" = "stolen"?!?

Steve Bailey Fretless on ebay
  11. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Thank you! I thought it was just me who didn't feel anything musical from him when he does that stupid 1000mph slap thing! Secondly, I thought he played Conklins?