Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aria Steve Bailey Signiature 6

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Diezel420, Aug 20, 2001.

1. I saw an Aria Steve Bailey Signiature 6 string fretless on EBay earlier today (due to the fact that the Dean Edge 6 fretless i was bidding on got taken by a guy w/ three seconds left to auction by way of an extra $30; yeah, I'm a little bitter) and it LOOKED like a piece of crap IMO. But I've hard that Steve Bailey is really good, and I was wondering if it was a good fretless bass ("mmwaahhh" and deep B).

I've never heard of Aria basses, which is why I'm potentially skeptical.

Thanks!!!!!!!

2. I have a Steve Bailey fretless 5, it has a nice "mwah" and a deep B. The pickups are Seymour Duncan "basslines" and are active with a bass and treble boost. Aria has been around for many years, they make a nice imported bass. The Steve Bailey's are made in Korea but stack up nicely against anything in their price range.

If you want a fretless 5 mine is for sale on ebay and only at $100 with no reserve. I'm selling mine to make room for the Zon (my wife enforces the 3 bass rule)

3. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    I remember a review of this bass in Bass Player Magazine. One of the things they said was pretty funny: "The Imitation Imitation-Turtle-Shell looks cheessy"

To bad don´t remember what they said about sound or playability....

4. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Sorry if this is a bit off-topic, but this is just some advice about bidding strategies on Ebay for those interested. Essentially, Diezel420, you were "sniped" by the other bidder. "Sniping" is the most effective way of bidding on Ebay (bidding as late as possible, with the maximum amount you are willing to pay). I am a regular on Ebay, and I always snipe to win.

More info about Ebay bidding strategies can be found here:

http://www.geocities.com/stevesheriw/bid.htm

5. I have a friend who regularly buys stuff on Ebay, and he has sniping down to a fine art. He has a clock set EXACTLY to the time on Ebay, and snipes the item with about 15 seconds or something left to go. Works every time.

6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Re:Steve Bailey Bass- I have played a couple, and they have always been pleasant enough to play. I do agree that the pickguard is about as cheap looking as anything I have ever seen on a bass. Some people like it, though. And, if it bothers you that much, you can always get one made for under $50 out of the material of your choice from Jeannie's Pickguards, or some place like it. The sound was nice, and it had a decent amount of mwah considering how dead the strings were.

Re:Sniping- While I personally find sniping to be a pretty scummy practice, I do understand that this is becoming more and more prevalent on Ebay. If you bid the maximum you are willing to pay up front, you won't have to worry about sniping. One thing I do is bid a maximum with an odd amount. Sometimes this can help thwart snipers. I find that I win about 90%-95% of the items that I bid on--even with coward snipers jumping in at the last second.

7. Thanks for the thoughts on the bass.

And I know sniping. I upped my bid with 8 seconds to go, and he upped it (according to my first hand accounts) in the last TWO seconds.

Damned impressive.

8. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    Dude sorrry but that was me. Sniping is a fine art.

9. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    Just kiddn man it wasnt me but I kinda wish it was sniping is as much fun as purchasing.