1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ariane Cap Music Theory For The Bass Player

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by dc-upright, Aug 10, 2016.

1. dc-upright

dc-upright

Mar 31, 2013
    Does anyone have any experience with her music theory book or her 20 week course? Looks very interesting but the course is quite expensive ( at least for me ). Just wondering what people think about her book and teaching.

Thanks in advance.

2. +6dB Dan

+6dB Dan

Dec 8, 2015
    Chicago, IL
    I own the book and I think it's quite good. It starts with the very basics (first several chapters are review for me) but covers a lot of ground. I think it's good for people with a beginning to intermediate knowledge of theory. I haven't worked through that much of it yet because I'm working on other things right now, but it's on my short list of books to finish.

dc-upright likes this.
  3. dc-upright

dc-upright

Mar 31, 2013
    Thank you, I ordered the book form Amazin and just got it, it looks quite good. I am going to start at the beginning even though it looks basic at first, but I can see there is plenty of info n there that I am not that good with.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

+6dB Dan likes this.
  4. Thuddy Waters

Thuddy Waters

Mar 20, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    I just received the book from Amazon too. It looks like it covers a lot of good material. I'm going to start at page one and go through the whole thing.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
    +6dB Dan and dc-upright like this.
  5. hs123

hs123

Aug 11, 2011
    Westminster CO
    I have the book and I'm taking the course. The book is amazing, but the coursed videos contain amazing little tid bits that you would only get from taking lessons from a professional. She also demonstrates all the exercises in the book, which for me is invaluable.

dc-upright likes this.
  6. dc-upright

dc-upright

Mar 31, 2013
    I plan to give it a go this next week, I am also going to start a page 1

So you recommend the course she offers hs123

Thuddy Waters likes this.
  7. +6dB Dan

+6dB Dan

Dec 8, 2015
    Chicago, IL
    Awesome! Happy to share my thoughts. Have fun :bassist:

dc-upright likes this.
  8. Good morning,
    I worked through the book (I am a perpetual student) and have seen some of the videos. The book is a bit unconventional in its treatment of theory, but in a way that makes sense. IMO this book is not ideal if you don't already have a good grasp of the full fretboard and basic line building chops and sight reading. Not for the absolute beginner but again with an approach that shows a good deal of thought and also shows the author clearly knows her stuff and has put a lot of thinking into designing the course. A bonus that I have not seen elsewhere is her emphasis on good ergonomics. It takes a good deal of time if you are going to follow the book's structured learning and not skip any parts.

dc-upright likes this.
  9. hs123

hs123

Aug 11, 2011
    Westminster CO
    Yes, It ties everything together, Like Josh Randall says, if you just get the book, there's some assumptions about things like reading rhythms. With the course, she explains everything (like those little triangles on the A and G string, that are harmonics...on page 41...who knew that?...).

dc-upright likes this.
  10. hs123

hs123

Aug 11, 2011
    Westminster CO
    I found a few things that Ariane verified for me:
    Page 20 Chapter 3

in Test Your Understanding #3, Determine the interval name, section h) 'D-G ascending' results in a 'perfect fifth ascending' (page 162). I keep getting a fourth.

The last example in section h) on page 20 says Dx - F# (is that D double #?) ascending, which I would guess a diminished 3rd and the answer page 162 says Dx - G# ascending as a diminished 4th...I think the dim 4th is correct for the G#.

On page 10 section d) Fill in the blanks:

The second one: D-10th fret and G - (5)
    The answer on page 161 lists D-10th - A-5th (D10 is a C, A5 is a D).

There could be an 'or' section on the 5 and 6 string on the third dot - seventh fret:
    5 string (F# - B E A D) or (Gb - B E A D)
    6 string (F# - B E A D) or (Gb - B E A D G)

Page 41
    The book has:
    (A)5,(A)5,(D)7,(E)5,(A)7,(A)7,(D)9,(A)7,(G)9,(A)5,(E)5 (7 on the A string should be E (right?) the notes are D)
    I would guess it as:
    (A)5,(A)5,(D)7,(E)5,(A)5,(A)5,(D)7,(A)5,(G)7,(A)5,(E)5 (to match the notation)

I think the last note on page 51 "Tritone Groove" second string note 4 should be 5 (D).

On page 94, in section c) B-D#-F# is B (Major) then six examples later B-D-F# should be Bm. ( I think)
    Page 164 says B-D-F# is B.

Page 161:
    Section d note finder:
    G# six string says: 4,11,6,1,7 (I got 9,4,11,6,1,8)

And then at the bottom Db (same as Db), the second Db could be C#.

Page 64, Chapter 4:

"The added sharps occur in the order of fourths: F#, C#, G#, D#, A#, E#, B#
    The added flats occur in the order of fifths: Bb, Eb, Ab, Db, Gb, Cb, Fb"
    -> This should be the other way round.

Page 66, Chapter 5:

The example given on major scale stacking thirds starting from root is incorrect:

The B of the A major scale is not the major third (it's supposed to be the C sharp) and the D is not the minor third (it's supposed to be the E)

The example given on major scale stacking thirds from the second note of the scale ( B) is incorrect:

The B is not the minor third, instead it should be counted as the root. That makes the D the minor third. The E is not the major third, so that makes the F sharp the major third. This results in a minor triad, stacking a minor third at the bottom and a major third on top.

Page 84, Chapter 5:

The second diagram showing the inversion with the fourth finger on the root (A) is incorrect:
    The diagram shows the position from 2 to 1 (C to E) as a minor third, but the way it is depicted, it is actually a major third. The second finger position should be at C#, not on C. This would give you the minor third position.

dc-upright likes this.
  11. 4StringTheorist

4StringTheorist Supporting Member

Add me to the list of people about to dig into this book alongside Freidland's Building Walking Bass Lines!

I like the idea of having a little club going here. ;)

You might want to edit the title of the thread to have the author's full name so that people using the TB search can find this thread more easily.

dc-upright likes this.
  12. dc-upright

dc-upright

Mar 31, 2013
    I am really liking this book. I should have put her full name in the title, can't figure out how to edit the title, can anyone advise.

4StringTheorist likes this.
  13. dc-upright

dc-upright

Mar 31, 2013
    I changed the title to include Ariane's correct name.

14. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    How much is the course? I couldn't find pricing for it on her site.

15. AMp'D.2play

AMp'D.2play Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2010
    NJ
    $249 for the 20 unit course

Music Theory for the Bass Player - The Course! | Ari's Bass Blog

lots of info on her blog. with rare exception, i've also enjoyed the lessons she posts on the NoTreble site. usually a new lesson about every 2 weeks or so.

16. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
  17. dc-upright

dc-upright

Mar 31, 2013
    She also has videos on Scotts Bass Lessons

18. billgoodwin

billgoodwin

Mar 28, 2011
    Roanoke,VA
    got the book few weeks back and it's quite good. Actually going to use it as part of a start up for taking on my first bass student this week.

dc-upright likes this.
  19. dc-upright

dc-upright

Mar 31, 2013
    I think it will be a great book for your students. The more I get into this book, the more I am liking it. I started from the beginning even though I have been playing a long time. I am now on page 23.

billgoodwin likes this.
  20. Thuddy Waters

Thuddy Waters

Mar 20, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ