Aries Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ltrombetti, Jan 28, 2006.

1. ltrombetti

Jan 24, 2006
    I've been playing a Fender jazz sice 1966 and recently was asked to concider an Aries. Doesn't seen like a logical choice because I play mostly rock in a trio. I went to the Aries site but wasn't impressed. Anyone have anything they can tell me about the Aries. So far I haven't found one to play but could use some input from anyone has played or owned one. Thanks
  2. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Are you talking about these??

Not exactly a seamless transition from a Fender Jazz.
  3. ltrombetti

Jan 24, 2006
    Yea that's it. I guess he's one of those purists who won't play anything unless it's exotic. I"m willing to try one just to see what he's so exited about but in no hurry. Just wondering if it's worth the effort to find one and here what he claims to be so great about it. Right now I have my eye on a custom hollowbody with a precision neck and a combination of presicion and jazz pickups. Don't know who made it but with the precision neck it has the feel I'm used to with a much more versital sound with the combo pickups.
  4. If you've been playing a J since 66 then you'll probably only ever feel right at home on a J. If you buy something else you're most likely to come back to your roots eventually. Stick with the classic, of course in my opinion.
  5. tribal3140

tribal3140 Banned

Nov 9, 2004
    near detroit...uh
    I feel like I am peeing on the parade but the very few dealers who have them are trying like crazy to unload them.
    I plaed one, a new one from joey g and it was totally unplayable with quarter inch action that couldnt be fixed dure to a logistical nightmare wooden bridge and a quarter inch nut.
    I feel terribla about having to say that I was just crushed when it arrived and was unplayable I dont want anyone els to go throught that.

PLEASE paly it B4 buying or orderg it!
  6. ltrombetti

Jan 24, 2006
    Thanks for the reply. Got to admit it looks great! I'll never give up the jazz but still looking for something new to try. From what I've been told a lot of changes have been made and if I see one I'll check it out and let you know. How long ago did you get the bass from Joey?
  7. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I played one at the Atlanta Bass Gallery and I really wasn't as blown away as I was expecting to be.

Cool aestetics, but the SC that I played was a tad tough in the upper register.
  8. Micolao

Sep 7, 2005