Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Arion Bass Overdrive & Rocktek Phaser

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Minger, Apr 14, 2005.

1. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Got these yesterday; gotta love that MF clearance - especially when shipping was free.

Nothing but good things to say about the Arion, which is only $12.99 now - great distortion, love the sound. No extra noise (which is a suprise from a cheap pedal), and keeps the bass in.

Rocktek on the other hand, it sounds good, and I like the funky effects outta it. The thing is, the presence knob picks up some radio (wonder if I can shield it) and well, the weird thing is that it has to be the first thing in a chain - and it can't go through a effects loop either from my amp, it has to go bass -> phaser -> anything else. Otherwise, it just doesnt turn on...

2. Craigle

Craigle "Careful with that joke, it's an antique!"

Mar 10, 2004
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Hmm, that's odd about the Rocktek, mine didn't do any of that. I also ran mine both direct and through the effects loop on my GK, and it sounded about the same through both.

Craig

3. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    My bad - I tested it out, its jsut the cable, which is weird.

It only works through the input through the cable that I've got (Peavey) instead of some random patch ones I grabbed outta church...hmm.

4. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I love my Rocktek Phaser! I was expecting it to be crap and it's real nice!

The quality is kidna lacking though.

5. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Sounds like you were patching with a speaker cable.

Ted

6. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Maybe; but I don't think we really use speaker cables at church; all the cables run through a snake to the mixer.

O well, whatever... I'll figure something out; and this just gives me more distance. The stuff sounds fine through the cables tho

7. So guys, I'm not a huge distortion guy, and I'd like something funky, but I'm broke. Will these do the job?

8. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Well, the 2 pedals combines produces a pretty cool sound - Iduno, distorted spacey?

Hey, its good to mess with nonetheless, and I'm pretty sure you'll find something you'll like...