Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Arion Salazar from Third Eye Blind

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by MaskedJackal, Mar 14, 2006.

1. I don't think much of their new stuff, I thought the Blue album had its high points here and there- but that first record? A near-flawless pop-rock debut.

He can play some realllllly cool melodies- my favorite in particular is "Motorcycle Drive By" where his counterpoint is really prominent and "How's It Going to Be." where he does slight alterations of the root.

Anyone dig him too?

2. Nova

Nova

Apr 19, 2002
    Williamstown, WV
    One of my favorites. Great bassist and a great songwriter!

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I liked the first record. Honestly, I didn't know that they were still around.

4. Arion is awesome. Very underrated player, he's played some great lines in Third Eye Blind, his basslines carried a couple of their biggest hits in my opinion. Before Third Eye Blind he played in funk/metal outfit called Fungo Mungo in the late 80s/early 90s and he definitely has chops. Also, if you ever get a chance to hear the Soundtrack from the old PC video game Interstate '76, the entire soundtrack was written/produced/performed by him, and it's all old 70's driving funk music. Really cool stuff.

5. Arion is someone I really look up to. I agree that "Motorcycle Drive By" has some awesome bass work in it. His sense of melody is amazing. The first album is pretty much flawless. The second album, "Blue", was really good and had a couple of great songs on it. And the third album, "Out of the Vein", is a work of art and one of my favorite albums of all time, even more so than the first 3eb album. Some of the best written songs I've ever heard. They spent years collecting old vintage recording gear and built their own studio. Its awesome. Sadly, Arion has been on an indefinate hiatus for almost two years now. I was talking to Tony (the guitarist) a while back and he said Arion has got some drug problems that are out of control. Stephan won't let him come back until he gets his sh!t together. Doesn't look like its going to happen.

6. I saw Fungo Mungo way back when & was very impressed. Truly sad if he's gotten sucked into the black hole of dope.

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Damn, that's sad.

8. fretlesswonder

fretlesswonder Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2006
    New Jersey
    That is sad to hear, I hope he can get out of it, great talent...still have the HBO concert on VHS from 1997, great player live too!

9. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    All I remember is that he played a cool silver sparkle Zon.

10. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Georgia
    +1. The first 3EB is probably in my top 10 of all time. Flawless from front to back, and the rest sort of got eclipsed by the success of "Semi-Charmed Life." Some killer bass playing on that record as well. Too bad they couldn't sustain the interest with the public (and also too bad that Stephan Jenkins sounded consistently awful live). "Losing A Whole Year" is the best album opener ever. Every time I hear it, I get pumped up...

11. I think you pretty much summed it up, especially with regards to Stephan Jenkins' voice, but remember also that several tracks from the first album got radio play ("Losing a Whole Year," Semi-Charmed Kind of Life," "Jumper," "Graduate," "How's it Going to Be"). That's incredibly hard to follow up, and I guess the industry didn't care to support them enough in future endeavors.

Their first album is excellent. Every track stands on its own yet works in the context of the others. I never heard the follow ups, but maybe I should.

12. Seriously, Stephan's voice was horrendous in every single live vid I've seen.

Yep.

13. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Georgia
    Blue was great in spots, but got sort of spacey and experimental towards the end. I think they lost some of their crowd with that record, and by the time Out Of The Vein came out, it was impossible to get them back. OOTV is my second favorite, some great tracks (and bass playing) on that one as well. There's a hidden track at the end called Another Life that's amazing, I never understood why it wasn't a "real" track. Glad to hear there are some other 3EB supporters out there...

14. TorontoAlex

TorontoAlex

Nov 28, 2011
    Toronto
    Just found a link from TEB's old guitarist of him jamming with Arion last month, apparently it was the first time he played bass in six years.

3eb.co.uk - Discussion Forums - Kevin and... ARION SALAZAR. SALAZAR.&

I love Arion's playing on the first three TEB records, not a guy that is (was) out-front with his playing, but great lines that fit the song well. Even if nothing comes from the jam, its good to see that Arion has (hopefully) got over his drug issues.