1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Arise, Lazarus!! My Hohner XK250...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rllefebv, Apr 15, 2006.

1. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I purchased, (rescued, more like it), this bass back in mid-January off of craigslist... A 1970 Bartell-designed, American built, Hohner XK250 Fretless. This is one of those "I should have taken before/after pictures!" moments because, while she's not looking like she's totally ready for the ball, neither is she laying in a pool of her own excrement!

[​IMG]

When I got this bass, it was wearing a bad coat of gunk on the fingerboard, seriously dead strings, badly wired electronics, and a Fender-style bridge with a few spacers under it to get the bridge high-enough to work...

Since the string spacing should be .625 rather than the .750 that the bridge was packing, the E and G strings were off the fingerboard at around the 15th fret, (and basically useless at around the 10th)... I yanked the bridge, finding a bunch of non-standard holes underneath. I made a quick-stop tailpiece using the five Fender Bridge holes and decided to go with a maple saddle piece... Works nicely, covers all but one hole, and imparts a nice tone...

Originally, the tone was a bit nasty, lotsa buzz, low output... My favorite test is always to wire 'bad' sounding pickups directly to the jack, and these single coils didn't disappoint! Clear, barky tone with a fairly powerful output... I ditched the pickup selector switch, (in favor of a carriage bolt to cover the hole and add a touch of class :D ), shielded and rewired using new 250K pots and .47 capacitors, Switchcraft jack... Very quiet! I am pleased...

Strung with D'Addario Chromes, which have broken in nicely after 10 days, this bass is rapidly growing on me. I really wussed and didn't gig with it last weekend, but I did take it to a jam last Saturday and was very pleased with it's tone in a band setting... Very nice, full, round, supportive tone... lotsa throat and plenty of attitude. I think I've found a new roots/rock workhorse!!

-robert

2. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Cool, enjoy.:bassist:

3. doormatt

doormatt

Apr 8, 2005
    that fretboard is rad!

4. Awesome work fixing that bass up! Looks like a keeper to me ^_^

Do you have any means of recording sound clips?

5. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Definitely a cool bass.

6. sinophysiker

sinophysiker

Feb 7, 2006
    Shanghai
    is this Hohner company related to the one that produces blues harps/accordions?

7. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    It's really nice to see that Hohner actually made cool-looking basses once. :/

sinophysiker: it's the same company.

8. sinophysiker

sinophysiker

Feb 7, 2006
    Shanghai
    really?

then too bad they don't produce bass guitar any more...

9. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I was going to disagree with you but I just checked out their website and ... no basses. Oh well, I never liked their modern bass designs much anyway. :/