Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Arkansas?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by pigpen02, Nov 1, 2003.

1. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    So, my new job (teaching kids w/ traumatic brain injuries) is sending me to Little Rock, Arkansas next week for training.

I've never been to the those parts; so what's little rock like? anything to do? help me out here.

2. odie

odie Supporting Member

All I can say is think "Deliverance":D

Actually I have never spent alot of time there. But I have traveled through it a few times and it is very scenic.

Where are you moving to? City?

3. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    No, not moving; just going to be there for a week training at the mother ship. I've lived most of my life in the south, so am not terribly anxious about the rural/southern cracker environment. In fact, i find it interesting. The facility i'll be working in next week is in Benton, i believe; i think its right outside little rock.

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Sorry man dont want a political fire fight erupting.

5. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    Shouldn't be a problem

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Didnt Ampeg just move its factories to that area?

Check it out!

Peace
    Nick

7. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    arkansas sucks.

my great great aunt lives there... and whenever i go there... i just look around and see "hell hole" everywhere.

but then again... i was in ft. smith... so ya... :p

8. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    Memphis is 2 hours away... and there's always good music everynight of the week...

as for Little Rock... it's not the most happening place, but check out the areas near the college.

ek

9. I was stationed there at LRAFB for 3 years. I stayed BUSY playing the clubs there. Check out Juanita's and pick up the weekly rag to see who's playing where/when. I liked the city. It was pretty cool. The blues jam (@ Juanita's on tues nights) was "down home" and soulful.

10. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    fishermans warf is fun

11. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    AAAAAARGH!

dry county.

12. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    Seriously, over here in Benton, that is; maybe its the town and not the county. I went out to a nice steakhouse last night thinking "dang, company's footing the bill, they can buy the meal while i suck down the single malt all night." Nope, "this here establishment and every other 'round here don't serve the devil's liquor."

They didn't really say that.

But, that's the deal: no alcohol available close by. It's all right though, my new employer has been working me pretty hard, so i haven't had much time to get in trouble. I might try to get out to Little Rock tomorrow night, as i've only to endure a 12 hour ride home w/ 6 of my co-workers in a van on Friday, as opposed to working.

Just out of curiousity, what's the modern-day justification for dry towns and counties? I don't reckon it can be a strictly religious argument; maybe a communities right to set its own morals? Or as some kind of DUI-prevention method? If its the latter, i'd think DUI's would skyrocket, as everybody does their drinking further from home.

Anyways, i have to say that Arkansas is a really beautiful state. The leaves are turning, there's deer everywhere, jobs cool, and the people are very friendly.

13. rocknhard

rocknhard

Aug 30, 2003
    Saline County (Benton) is Dry, while Pulaski County (Little Rock) is a Wet county. Not exactly sure as to the reasoning WHY, other than it is voted on by the citizens.

14. O.K. For all of the uninformed nit-wits doggin' my town. KISS OFF! Good riddance, and stay away!
    Now, for anyone who wants the REAL 4-1-1 on the Central Arkansas scene just drop me a line here .
    From metal to punk, country to lounge, you name it, we've got it.
    Yes there are some inane laws regarding the purchase and consumption of adult beverages.Yes there are some SERIOUS rednecks. And yes I do know some cousins who are married with children.:confused:
    They've got that in Jersey too.
    But a "Hell-hole" it ain't!
    It's just small enough to have that "home town" feel to it, while at the same time it's big enough that there is usually something cool going on.
    And if you want good music we've got it.
    Vino's, the Living Room, Sticky Fingerz, Juanita's, Cajuns Wharf, the Afterthought, all fine venues featuring some of Little Rocks finest musicians. (In the kitchens & on the stage!)
    So keep yer "Deliverance" crap to yourself.

Rev.

15. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Ahem.... VERY uncool to go changing somebody's post for them. :mad: At least be courteous enough to notify me, or show that it was edited. Besides, it wasn't anywhere close to starting a "political fire fight". If there is a problem with a post, PM me and we can discuss.